Friday 15 February 2013

Plans for the weekend

Thank you for all your kind comments about the Blackwork Etui  and for helpful suggestions.  
Lee suggested how I could make a matching tape measure and I am going to try that.
Inspiration came for how to include space for a small 'packet' of needles and pins -  of course they will have to be blackheaded pins!
At the moment I am suffering from the desire to stitch something new.   Not just a new start, but a new technique and last night just before bed time I searched through the four copies of Inspirations Magazine that I have.   This caught my eye.  
I'm not very confident about silk shading nor crewel work but love cornflowers and the idea of a pin ball tickles my fancy enough for me to want to give it a try.   The instructions call for silk satin and AVAS silks but I just know that this will be a "learning piece" and will never turn into an heirloom, so crewel linen and wools it will be as I have those in stash.   If, as I suspect, this ends in dissatisfaction, I promise not to leave it for my nephew and his wife to clean up in my estate!
Tomorrow is Embroiderers Guild and we are having a mini workshop on Huck Embroidery.   It is around 55 years ago that I last did this type of stitching.  Wouldn't you say it is time for a refresher course!   So that is where I will be tomorrow afternoon.   
The HD3QBEM will be at home with her knitting.   Last Saturday I took her to a new yarn shop and she succumbed to temptation.   The random wool she chose is knitting up so nicely.   She is pleased, I am pleased - it is happy dances all round.
Today I went to the Library and exercising enormous restraint (given that I have 17 books on my request list) I brought home these four.
I'm not sure I want to knit 55 different Christmas balls but I certainly would like to know how to do it.
The HD3QBEM has just finished this book (in large print of course) and highly recommends it.   She did admit however to 'skipping the mathematical bits' but enjoying the biographical detail.  
My turn next so I'll let you know how I get on.   Have a good evening and an excellent weekend.




6 comments:

Ann at Beadlework. said...

I don't know how but I missed your last post so I've just caught up with your lovely blackwork set. I like your choice of new stitch to try, it is so pretty. I also like your mum's new yarn - the choice of yarn these days is amazing - sometimes it's hard to know where to start with the hand dyed and variegated ones.

cucki said...

yup..i like your choice of new stitch to try..very pretty..
the yarn is really very lovely too.
have a lovely weekend x

valerie said...

Good luck with your pin ball experiment. It's very pretty! I don't know how you read so fast. I just checked out three books from the library and now I will probably have to renew two of them in three weeks time because I did not read fast enough! :) Enjoy the weekend!

Karen said...

Can't wait to see your crewel work! It's another form of needlework that I would love to learn!

Pamela said...

Your weekend plans sound good. Good luck with the pin ball. For me, crewel has always been cruel - definitely not my thing.

Fiona said...

Looking forward to seeing your new start. Pretty wool that your Mum is knitting with.