Saturday 16 February 2013

Huck Weaving and Guild Workshop



Today at Embroiderers Guild I attended a mini workshop on Huck Weaving.  I hadn't forgotten how to do this although it was around 55 years ago that I learned.    Just like riding a bicycle - you never forget!   It was interesting to pick up and refresh my memory on this interesting stitch.   The fabric is amazing -  I'd love to see the looms that make this fabric.   According to the tutor this stitching can be done on Aida too so at long last I may have a use for the pieces of fabric I have discarded over the years when I swapped the kit aida for my favourite linen. Our tutor has stitched lots of huck items and had a beautifully coloured sampler which really took my eye.
With practise I may be able to achieve something like this but I'm not sure that Huck has grabbed me quite that much.  It was fun chatting with others as I stitched though. 

We all made small sample pieces so that we practised the basic stitches and were given paper charts and instructions to encourage us to try more difficult items later.

At the other end of the room were a group of ladies who didn't want to join in either of the workshops.   They stitched and chatted happily for the couple of hours.   One of them, Pat, had bought at a Guild auction last year a "just started" linen tablecloth.   It is probably around five feet square and the previous owner had completed only a complicated hardanger star right in the centre.
Pat, who has terrible arthritis decided she would complete this cloth and has, since the auction, diligently persisted in stitching a deep edging all around the cloth.   She is about to 'join up' and amazingly is correct to the last fabric thread!
When asked what she was going to do with the completed cloth she smiled and said "fold it up and put it in the drawer with all the others".
Tonight I am going to do miles of needle weaving on a beaded hardanger strawberry while I watch Silk and A Touch of Frost.   Bliss!

8 comments:

Lee said...

Just turn off the TV after watching both Silk and a Touch oif Frost and managed to get a lot of stitching done. Thanks for sharing the photos from the guild meeting today

cucki said...

beautiful stitching..love seeing all the photos xx

Bonnie said...

Seeing the Huck weaving brought back memories from long ago. Didn't know the fabric was even made any more! Kind of fun to do, but can be tedious also.

Karen said...

Everything looks gorgeous. That tablecloth is amazing.

Pamela said...

I recently tried huck weaving and it was fun, but like you, don't think it grabs me enough to want to do it a lot. The table cloth is amazing, but I could never pack it away. I like to use and enjoy the things I make.

Nicola said...

One of the many things I love about your blog is the variety of crafts that you share. Thank you Margaret.

valerie said...

The huckweaving looks lovely! And that tablecloth is amazing! So much work that goes into it to then stuff away in a drawer!

Fiona said...

I have never heard of Huck weaving,so your post was very interesting. Your friend's table cloth is stunning and I bet she was relieved when it lined up.