Wednesday 18 March 2020

Completed and preparing

The pincushion and the lavender bag are now complete -  proof in the snapshots below.

Our temperatures have suddenly dropped along with our spirits - at least the DBEM is fairly dismal.  Yesterday I had to put blue into my temperature chart but today is back in yellow.   The nights are much cooler and the days growing shorter so Autumn is in the air here.
Because of the fine day the landscaper was able to finish building my raised garden bed in the back yard (the photo below is part way through the construction).  This is one part of my preparation for social distancing due to Covid-19   If I am not going to be allowed out and about socially I will need something to do at home so vegetable gardening it is.   I plan to go to the garden centre tomorrow (maintaining the recommended distance from others who may be there) and get the necessary to plant up for my winter veges.   Do you think this garden bed (18 metres long and 0.6metres wide) will be large enough to produce vegetables for two old ladies??
The flower garden in the front is still doing its thing and I am fighting a winning battle with the aphids on the roses.   It seems they do not like to be sprayed with a mixture of soapy water, oil and baking soda!   So I am able to enjoy the last of the flowers and continue to contend with the inevitable weeds.
Another more satisfying preparation has been this.
I purchased this Lanarte cross stitch kit around 25 years ago and it has languished in the stash cupboard ever since.   However it would look good framed and on the wall of my bathroom. So I decided that if I am confined to quarters I should improve the shining hour and I have got everything ready and made a small start (a whole 24 crosses!!) on this.   Along the way I will lose interest I know, but if I can stitch a bird at a time I should be able to continue to completion.
I have promised the DBEM to get her some more knitting wool tomorrow when I go to stock up on Library books.   So far there are no cases of Coronavirus in our city so I am using these next few days to make preparations worthy of a military strategist :-)

10 comments:

Frugally challenged said...

I too have realised that gardening may be important for me. Usually I leave most of the work to someone else as I am slow and weak but my someone else has children who will be at home and I will have time on my hands so I may do far more this year. And more fresh veggies will be great!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Glad to find you hale and hearty as a retiree, Margaret. And the projects continue. We are in isolation ourselves and thankfully have lots to amuse us. Take care!

Denise said...

I work at my son's garden center in Dalton, Georgia. We are encouraging people to garden
during this chaotic time - whether vegetables,
herbs or flowers. Get out and enjoy your yard!
Your raised bed is going to be great!

Ann at Beadlework. said...

The Lanarte kit takes me back in time - I stitched a few over the years. It's a time like this that it's good to be a crafter - your pincushion and sachet are lovely. Enjoy the garden and stay safe (your mum too of course).

Erica said...

I love that Lanarte design! I have it in my stash too. Hopefully, if the stupid virus doesn't get me, I will get to it soon!

At Home In New Zealand said...

You will be surprised at how much you can produce from a garden that size. It could easily keep you supplied with most of your vegetable needs. Stay safe, Mxx

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I am glad that you are keeping busy and working on your self sufficiency too.
The pincushion and little bag look lovely, the spider web thingies in the middle are so neat and even.
Looking forward to seeing the Bird appear.

Leonore Winterer said...

Great idea to do some gardening and cross stitch to pass the time in isolation! I wanted to plant my balcony as well, but can't get to a garden center anymore.

Didi-beadwork said...

lovely garden bed. i need something like this in my back garden as well.

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

I have that Lanarte kit too...unstitched.