Wednesday 13 May 2020

Good progress

The DBEM and I are happily planning our first road trip in my new car.   NZ moves into Alert Level 2 on Thursday and we will be free to travel (sensibly) so will pack a small picnic basket and go to a local village for a picnic.   According to the weatherman we should have a fine sunny day on Friday so here's hoping he's correct this time.

I did a mental happy dance when our Prime Minister announced the news - my first thought was that I could finally get to the store and buy DMC 156 and so fill in the gaps in my cross stitch piece.   However I will leave that until next week as there will be plenty of people like me itching to get to the store and I would rather wait until it is less busy and therefore safer.
This week I have done a few odd jobs around the house and garden and made some progress on the Japanese sampler.   I'm enjoying this one but will need to find a red bead to hang from the lantern on the Torii Gate which looks remarkably like that at Asakusa in Tokyo.   It is such fun stitching each of these motifs.   I have extra stitches to put in the Acorn Cap and also a Koi fish to go in the gap to the bottom left of the iris motif.   Perhaps I should go through and colour in my chart to ensure I haven't left anything out;-)

I've been knitting too.   I promised myself I would knit a jersey for a brother and sister (2 yrs old and 6 months old) at church and the delivery of the yarn was delayed.  Now that it has arrived I have been beavering away on the small sweater for John - so much so that I have gotten a painful right shoulder yet again.   I need to take care so will slow down on this as I need to keep my shoulders pain free in order to fix up all the extras that the DBEM's knitting entails now.   Oh dear, she has such a lot of reversing and repairing for me to do:-(   I mask my feelings as I don't know what to say when she says "I think I'll need to give up this knitting.  I can't do a very good job...." and her voice quavers a little.   What she would do if she had to stop this simple pleasure I don't know so anything I can do to help her continue is a must.   Today we both went exploring a hitherto undiscovered lane across the street and enjoyed the golden autumn weather.   Both of us are in need of time out of the house and of vistas new and fresh scenery. 

11 comments:

Ann at Beadlework. said...

I hope your mum can continue to knit for as long as possible Margaret, it obviously gives her so much pleasure. I can knit small things but if I was to knit the garments that I used to I would have serious neck issues so I'm not surprised that you've got a sore shoulder. It's frustrating.

Margaret said...

Thanks Ann, Mother still enjoys the knitting and croswords and sudoku are no substitute so I'll need to help her manage with what she likes.

Denise said...

I know how you feel about being able to get out and about! Felt like a totally new person when
I was able to get my hair cut. Try to get us some pictures of your picnic excursion! Have fun!

Frugally challenged said...

I'm with you. I used to have to sort out my mate mother's knitting every night after she'd gone to bed but it gave her pleasure so I was happy to do it.

It sounds as though the corona virus situation is being well handed there - great to make plans!

Heritage Hall said...

You are a daughter-heroine in my estimate.
Your devotion to your Mother is apparent in
so many ways. Great progress on the birds.

Margaret said...

I was able to make a booking for haircuts for both of us so only a week to wait!

Margaret said...

We have come through two Alert Levels and in Level 2 there is more freedom. I'm yet to go to a shop though they are quite crowded I believe

MargaretP said...

Your Mum obviously enjoyed her knitting, maybe she could try beanies knitted on circulars,charities are always looking for them in the cold weather and there are many simple patterns .

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I do hope you will enjoy your drive out. Your Prime Minister has been amazing from what we have seen on the World News. Unlike our's.
I do hope your Mum can keep knitting too, it does make her happy.

Fiona V said...

A year or two back I discovered just how nice hand knitted cotton dish and face cloths are to use (and there's no nasty microfibres going down the sink each time you use them). Would a charity be interested in selling pretty dishcloths? (There are approximately a bazillion free patterns on the web.) Your Mum could then still do her knitting and feel she is making a useful contribution to society.

Leonore Winterer said...

Lovely progress on your stitching!
I'm glad your mum can still do her knitting, even if she needs more help now. What kind of mistakes does she make? Maybe it'd help to switch to scarves or blankets, something that doesn't involve any counting?