Sunday 12 April 2020

Hexagons

Our Embroiderers Guild is in recess at the moment as we are still in lockdown.   But at the last meeting the President advised the theme for the annual President's Challenge.   It is to be an embroidered depiction of the title of a favourite book.  Any type of embroidery (machine included) and any finish -  framed, 3D etc.    Strangely I felt that perhaps this was something that even I might be able to do and have been pondering on what .... I knew I didn't want to have to frame something.
And then yesterday I found my packet of hexagon templates for English Paper Piecing and remembered seeing a hexagon box made this way.  So today I have cut out fabric from my scraps basket and stitched a mock-up to ensure that I had the geometry correct.   Yes!!   With a 2.5inch square for lid and base this will be perfect.   So I need to begin designing.
I intend to do embroidery for the four sides and the lid but the bottom?  Well, that may be plain.  Also I can't see that I can create this from linen so may have to wait until the fabric stores reopen and get some homespun poplin on which to work the pieces.  Hopefully this will not end up a dreadful failure but I have the glimmerings of hope that I could manage to create something I will be happy to have live in my cabinet.
Thank you to all who have left comments on my blog.   The DBEM laughs when I tell her she is mentioned but I should report that today she wore the new top I made her and together we went for a short walk partway down the street.   It was a lovely sunny day and guess what....tomorrow is forecast for rain so I will happily sit at my sewing machine and work on the small projects I have cut out.
Meanwhile Keep Safe,  Keep Well.

4 comments:

Ann at Beadlework. said...

You have a lot of patience Margaret. Happy Easter to you and your mum.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

This project sounds very intriguing and a lot of fun. Will you tell us which book you have chosen or shall we guess by looking at the finished project?
Glad that you both got out for a walk in the sunshine. We are doing this on a daily basis.

Leonore Winterer said...

That's a cool type of project! I'm looking forward to seeing what you will be designing.

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

I love hexagon EPP projects. I look forward to seeing your finished design.