Thursday 9 April 2020

More Progress

Two weeks of Level 4 Lockdown are now complete and I look back and feel that my time has not been wasted.
This week I have sewn myself a summer blouse (still needs buttons and then buttonholes so will wait until shops open again); completed the "C" for the 50th Birthday Gift; finished a quarter of The Birds; mowed the lawns and tidied up the garden a lot; kept the DBEM company on her walks as well as going for a daily speed walk myself; etc etc   Nothing different to any of the others in my street I'm sure.

I have also sorted through my plastic tub of fabric scraps and put into piles those that are large enough to make dresses/shorts/tops for little girls or boys (destined for donation to the Hospice Shop when normal life resumes); those I could use as backing for small embroidery finishes and a pile from which I am going to make patchwork placemats and oven mits (I need both but any surplus will be donated).   That's next weeks jobs list as the weather is predicted to turn for the worse.
Anyway here's a photo of the two major achievements for this week,
The DBEM rightly says this looks better from a distance:-)

I'm looking for a suitably squirly M to do one of these for myself.
My pre-lockdown grocery shop has been quite satisfactory and we have been able to keep to our regular type of meals but I was beginning to crave fresh fruit and veges.  Then through the wonders of randomness on Facebook I found a local company that would be able to do a non-contact delivery so I gave it a try.   The DBEM was sceptical to say the least and seemed to really think I had been duped but the box came and I was super pleased with all the contents.   Tomorrow I plan on doing some batch cooking to fill the spaces in my freezer with meals for me from the vegetables that the DBEM cannot eat.   I was particularly thrilled with the apples and she with the bananas and potatoes and so chez nous happiness reigns.
Then on the list is another toddlers dress, a small girls short and top set, a zip top project bag, some promised knitting to assist the DBEM and who knows what else?   There is even woollen yarn to start an aran sweater for my little great nephew.   I have plenty to do to keep me occupied safely inside what our Prime Minister calls our bubble.   This bubble lifestyle may continue for some time yet so best get used to it:)

The DBEM's supply of Talking Books doesn't fall under the Essential Services list so she is down to her last disc.   These are sorted for mail by volunteers and so nothing is being despatched at present,  But I had the bright idea of downloading audiobooks through my library access and we had a delightful afternoon listening to an Amish story.  Even the knitting I am currently doing on her behalf progressed quickly under the spell of a book being read aloud.

Meanwhile Keep Safe, Keep Well.

5 comments:

Ann at Beadlework. said...

You're so busy Margaret and so productive. Your fresh produce looks "farm fresh". Do you have access to audio books via Amazon or other similar platform. It's not something I use so I'm not sure of the details.

At Home In New Zealand said...

You sound like you are well organised and things are ticking along nicely. What a bonus finding the fresh fruit and veggies. My son went to the supermarket yesterday for our normal weekly groceries and drove straight home again! The queue was so long and he said we can wait another couple of days (which we can). Stay safe and love your bubble :) Mxx

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

You have been busy and very productive. Mum is right, the birds do look good a little further back.
The fruit and veg box looks lovely, nice to have some fresh food for the diet.
Audio books are an excellent idea. A lot of our libraries are reading stories out loud on Facebook. I would love to do the same but apparently it breaks the terms of our furlough.

MargaretP said...

Your alphabet embroidery looks lovely, I used to do something similar with silk ribbon embroidery years ago, they were for the front of lingerie bags for gifts and always very well appreciated.
I used that same type of design found in some embroidery books and enlarged it to size for a combo of silk ribbon and DMC stitches.
The accompanying note got a laugh "This lingerie bag is to stop your knickers running about loose in your luggage"

Leonore Winterer said...

You've been wonderfully productive those last couple of weeks, and it looks like you won't be running out of things to do anytime soon!