Sunday 19 April 2020

Almost at the end of Week 4

I can see that my wished for retirement life will be vastly different post Covid-19 to that which began a few months ago. Still it is what it is and I must needs make the necessary adjustments both physically and mentally.   Mostly I miss the social gatherings like Church,  Bible Study Group, Embroiderers Guild and I definitely miss going to the Library for a weekly supply of books.   The on-line system through the library is good but not quite the same :-(  This past week I have had to really force myself to stitch but there is at least something to show for it.
Firstly the temperature chart - we are well into the green region again now as temperatures have dropped and we have had rain -  plenty of rain.   We even had two days of Blue!!
I finished off the eyelets - multitudes of eyelets - on my hardanger piece and will put this away for a rest for a week or two now having punctured a hole in the tip of my right middle finger pushing the fine needle through this linen.   This piece has many many picots and I have no confidence in my ability to do these so will have to practise on a doodle cloth first but hopefully this piece will help me master The Hardanger Picot.
Then I did a tidy up of my fabric scrap box and found a piece of Afghan fabric that I had kept as well as a pattern for a hexagonal bag.   So fabric and some 4ply merino yarn ( a pretty Junior Navy Blue) and a quick flick through some patterns and this resulted.   I will do a different Quaker motif for the other side of the bag and then when the fabric store is open will chose some toning cotton fabric to make up a bag.   It does feel good to finally put my plan into action as I had all but forgotten this piece of fabric.
The DBEM and I almost came to an altercation when she nagged at me to do a load of washing yesterday.  I did so, against my better judgement and of course it rained so it all had to dry indoors.   I don't know what it is but even though there are only two of us in the house she still wants to do a load of laundry each day.   I don't!!   Nor do I see the need to do so.   But in 28 years of living together we have never had a fight and I don't intend to start now and if it takes a load of laundry each day to keep the peace so be it.   Our weather forecast is better this week so it will be easier for her to have her way.    I do admit that there are few household chores she can do now but one of them is to fold the clean laundry so perhaps she felt like her last remaining job was being taken from her?  My retirement is an adjustment for us both and not helped by this current lockdown situation.  
Anyway, onwards and upwards.   And I plan on returning to my birds cross stitch this week so there may be an update on that in a day or two.


7 comments:

At Home In New Zealand said...

Lock-down has been a big adjustment for a lot of people, especially those not used to being at home all the time. I'm hoping we will go down to Level 3 this afternoon - another two hours and all will be revealed! Stay safe :) xx

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

Yes, I can see how retirement and lockdown is a double adjustment. I'm impressed that you and DBEM have never had a fight. Long may it continue.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Lovely work on the Hardanger and the Quaker. I am interested to see how you make it into a bag.
I do agree that your Mum wants to be able to do her daily chore. Is she happy if you just do a small wash?

MargaretP said...

Tesuti Fabrics have the loveliest linen apron pattern Free at the moment, I thought you might like to take a look.

MargaretP said...

Tessuti is correct spelling. 😊

Leonore Winterer said...

Great stitching progress! Not a fight in 28 years...you and the DBEM really must be angels. I'm sure you'll make it through lockdown as well :)

Heritage Hall said...

Always said you are a Saint in disguise,
Margaret dear. We are approaching Level 1
and it cannot come soon enough. Blessings
and patience to all of us.