Saturday 5 October 2019

My favourite red

As is usual I took many more stitching projects away than I had time for but did complete the cross stitch for this
It is stitched on 32 count linen with Threadworks 1089 floss and it has turned out large!   When I checked the instructions it definitely said said 32 count linen so no mistake there.   I'm thinking I might stitch the monogram and use that on a drawstring bag to hold all these and make it a complete set.   (However I have yet to decide what initial to use -  do I want this or do I want to gift it?) First I have lots of backstitching to do around the outer edges before I can begin construction.
I also wanted to make full use of a piece of linen on which I had begun a Wessex stitchery needlebook and scissor fob.   It is all tacked out for two humbugs and a bookmark.   Isn't the internet wonderful- it provided the chart for this cute little humbug/scissor fob which combines my favourite hardanger with relaxing blackwork.
And two bookmarks were completed on another scrap of linen.
So I am feeling very proud of myself but I am going to stitch this next -  but will convert the Gloriana threads to DMC as a cost saver.  The Inspirations Magazine containing this was my one and only holiday treat.
Since returning home I have been busy with housework as the painters left a fine film of dust over everything.  Nothing that a soft cloth and some Neepol couldn't cure and now the wood is positively glowing; as am I, feeling so virtuous over having cleaned so very thoroughly.

8 comments:

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Very productive Margaret, on all fronts.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

That's a beautiful shade of red and a lovely set of designs too.

Margaret said...

Thanks Ann, I'm not getting as much stitching done at the moment but that time will come again I'm sure

Margaret said...

Hi Jo, yes I love this shade of red (almost but not quite identical to DMC115) The alphabet on this chart has been used many times for other projects

Leonore Winterer said...

You made great use of your stitching time...and I think after all that cleaning, you earned yourself some more!

Margaret said...

Thanks. I have finished off my holiday stitching and am working on a piece of hardanger at the moment. However with the stress of house sale I'm afraid stitching will have to take a back seat at the moment:)

Naomi Old said...

I so enjoy your blog, Margaret. Interested to read of the cost of the Gloriana threads and converting to DMC. The Willing Hands book is a fabulous book!

Margaret said...

Thanks Naomi, I wasn't totally successful at conversion but I will give it a trial and see how it looks. I have a lot of DMC and a tight budget now so will have to experiment with frugal options if I want to stitch the beautiful projects in this book.