Sunday 27 October 2019

Chasing My Tail

Ages ago I read somewhere that selling a house was among the most stressful events in life.  Correct!!  It is.   However my house is now cleaned and cleared to within an inch of its life and is listed with the real estate agent so I am over one hump of stress and on to the next :)    Open home viewings followed by auction and then The Big Move.  It is all feeling a little too much after 27 years in this place but onwards and upwards.
On the stitching front there have been finishes and one disaster.
The needle book holder (utilitarian at best) is completed and in use.

Two bookmarks are done successfully.
The "red set" came to a sticky end.   Scissor fob and biscornu went well but the needlebook was never going to work.  Frugality with linen is all very well but I do need to ensure there is sufficient seam allowance for construction.  In this case there wasn't so I discarded the needle book. 
The two fancy humbug shaped fobs almost reached the same fate but I was able to retrieve those.  I quite like that pattern and may revisit this again.
I began construct on the Betsy Morgan Etui but haven't made a lot of progress for two reasons.  I don't want to fail under pressure with this one so will take my time.  Also I have not yet decided on a lining fabric, so this one is back in the basket.
I have stitched the Hardanger tops for two Christmas Stocking Ornaments and completed those.
And now I have kitted up the Betsy Morgan Reticule with DMC thread.  Gloriana threads are just too ridiculously expensive here in New Zealand and mostly obtainable only by on line purchase from overseas.

All this activity is tiring but with benefits.   I have shed 3kg of the 6 that I put on while working for Corrections.  Happy me!  However I suspect this is the result of lots of housework, tidying up and daily walks :)

10 comments:

At Home In New Zealand said...

Things will be much more settled after The Big Move. I always find craft work (I must confess I do not do a lot) very relaxing when things are stressful.
I love the little biscornu (a new word for me, I had to look it up!).

Denise said...

Margaret, did I somehow miss a post about you moving? May I ask
where you are going? I was just so surprised when I read that you were selling your home. I do hope you and your mother will be very happy at your new location. As for your stitching, as usual it is lovely and very unique. Wishing you the best.

Margaret said...

Thanks I certainly hope so. Currently I feel shackled to keeping a pristine house:). Hopefully only another three and a half weeks and then it's sold.

Margaret said...

Hi Denise, we are moving from Auckland to a Palmerston North which is much closer to my siblings and will hopefully be better all round. Stressful though:)

Denise said...

You will enjoy being closer to your relatives. Let us know how things go.
Wishing you a 'no stress' move!!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

The forthcoming move has certainly worked wonders on your finishing production line!
I also tend to be very mean with my fabric, saving three inches of border "for smalls, just in case"!
I love the little fobs and the red set too.

Margaret said...

I seem to have a lot of time waiting for agents and many odd moments between cleaning and tidying so the finishing has been a lifesaver.

Leonore Winterer said...

Moving is both exciting and stressful, so I'm glad you have your needlework to calm you down! Hopefully, everything will go smoothly.

Margaret said...

Thanks Lenore, I'm not sure about the exciting but it is definitely stressful. I'm going to auction mid November so it will all be over soon.

Astrids dragon said...

I know moving can be a pain, but worth it for us in the end and hopefully for you too!
All your finishes look great, sorry you lost the needle book though.