Friday 25 July 2008

My first Crazy Exchange

I really was very unsure about how this would work but I marked my X for an exchange for Marlies in Gouda, The Netherlands. To be very international I made for her a needlecase designed by Gay Eaton, an embroiderer of some renown in New Zealand. It is in Wessex Stitchery which was originally the brainchild of an English woman Margaret Foster. Gay found out about it in 'olde English books' and revived the stitching by printing a new updated version in 2001. It became quite a trend in NZ for a time among embroiderers who took classes with Gay. The stitches are all named and this one is called Exeter as it is based on the stained glass windows in Exeter Cathedral in England. Colour wise it is loosely like the NZ shellfish the paua (cousins of the abalone to my American friends!) I included the "crazy paua" fabric with which it is lined, some buttons made of paua shell and a card showing the original. Anyway Marlies says she was happy with it so I am relieved and will let you all see the picture here.

Last night I stitched some more on my "lilac mystery" and was really pleased with the result. As it is a gift I can't show you anymore yet. We are promised bad weather for the weekend and I have already planned my stitching schedule so there will be photos after that.
Enjoy your weekend too.

2 comments:

Dani - tkdchick said...

Its beautiful! Well done!

Jenna said...

Beautiful! I love how the lining fabric so closely mimics the paua shell.