Tuesday 25 January 2022

The Last Stitch

 Yesterday the DBEM completed her last row of knitting - at least so she says.   She has extremely poor sight now and has knitted by the feel of her fingertips for some time.   The result has been erratic and much "repair work" has been necessary.  But now the pain of arthritic hands has caused a halt to be called so yesterday we celebrated her last row with a commemorative photograph.   

Then we sat and nattered while I sewed up the garment and put on the buttons after which I brought out the pile we have stocked up to go to the Hospice shop.   23 in total this year which isn't bad is it?   

I have parceled them up and will send them off tomorrow.   There are at least 18 charity shops in our city but I am sending them back to the one she always donated to in Auckland and have included a letter announcing her retirement.   Nearly 30 years of knitted donations with around 25 garments each year which sell for around $25 each is a substantial amount isn't it?   I am really proud of my lovely Mother.


8 comments:

Frugally challenged said...

Congratulations to your Mother on such a wonderful achievement. I hope she finds other happy things to do,

Maggie said...

Aww bless you mum for carrying on knitting, no wonder you are proud of her, she's done some wonderful work, I bet they will miss her donations.

Unknown said...

Congratulations to your DM. What a wonderful accomplishment! Linda Edmundson

MillaJane said...

Congratulations to your mother, that's an achievement to be proud of. I hope she enjoys her well-earned rest now! Best wishes to you both. MillaJane

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

I agree with the other comments Margaret; congratulations to your mother. She has done a terrific amount of knitting over the years.

Astrids dragon said...

Wow, 23 is amazing, congratulation to her! I hope whoever has purchased one will appreciate the treasure that they have.

Leonore Winterer said...

Your mum has done a lot of good with all her knitting, I am sure! Has she found something else to occupy her time?

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Congratulations to Mum, she deserves her long service award! I am sure the shop has been very grateful over the years. It's a lovely idea to send the last batch to them.