Friday 28 January 2022

Mastering Picots

 Although hardanger is my first love I am self taught and have always struggled with picots - even following Janice Love’s book I found myself always dissatisfied with the uneven results.   Just how did one get them all the same size?   I asked several other stitchers who almost without exception said “ picots are really easy; it’s just practice”.   Not. Helpful.   So I decided to never do picots and the years have passed by with that resolution basically kept.

But, I recently fell down a YouTube traphole and found Yvette Stanton’s video of hardanger picots.   I watched over and over and tried to follow but somehow in the time between looking at the screen and then doing the stitch I forgot what I had seen😂.  Nothing daunted, I checked and my local library had her book in which was printed step by step instructions.   NOW I can say I have imprinted on my memory the method doing a knotted picot and I’m super happy with the results.   So….new resolution.   I will not do loop picots and only do knotted picots.   With almost every stitch I say to myself, “I’m so happy I’ve learned to do these”.   

So…Thankyou Yvette Stanton.   Three cheers for your generosity in sharing your skills.

9 comments:

Frugally challenged said...

Your work looks wonderful with or without picots

Queeniepatch said...

What a happy feeling that must be. It is so frustrating to want to do something and it doesn't work. Then when you find another instruction you can do it all of a sudden. Enjoy your picot making!

Clare-Aimetu said...

Congratulations on mastering knotted picots, I too love hardanger.

Cynthia said...

Margaret, I too, have struggled for years with picots. Can you tell me which book of Yvette Stanton's you used? I think I may give that a try. Your picots look lovely. Glad you were able to master them. Thank you. Cynthia

Heritage Hall said...

Oh Margaret ~ Your hardanger is exquisite and you have truly mastered the knotted picot
What wonders you will create in the future. Best to your beloved Mom...

Astrids dragon said...

I have never done any hardanger before, yours is so beautiful! How wonderful to find that book at your library.

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

I wish my picots were as good Margaret.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Your hardanger is always lovely and your picots look beautiful. I am glad that you found a solution to the problem!

Leonore Winterer said...

Yay for starting the new year of with learning a new skill! That's always fun.