Monday 31 January 2022

An enforced rest from stitching

 Today I braved the shops and after much deliberation purchased a mandolin slicer.   Naturally I read the instruction book carefully, particularly noting "The blade is very sharp. Take Care".   And proceeded to slice up the zucchini my neighbour had kindly given me.  But...

A hunk out of my right thumb and copious amounts of blood later I have a bandaged right hand and the thumb is throbbing and there will be no hardanger, nor any other form of handwork done here for a while.

But Cynthia had asked the name of the Hardanger book from which I learned the knotted picots so here 'tis.

Early Style Hardanger - by Yvette Stanton   It is available from her website here but for reference the ISBN is 978-0-9757677-1

I have a couple of completed items so may be back in a day or two with some photos.

Until then.

5 comments:

Clare-Aimetu said...

Ouch ! I hope your hand heals quickly

Frugally challenged said...

Oh dear! I did exactly the same thing when I bought a mandolin. I finished up in A & E! Look after yourself (and your DBEM).

Sandy said...

Oh no, sorry to hear that. I had an incident with a peeler when I was trying to dry it to put it away. Literally got my finger stuck between the blades and was afraid to try and pull it out, figuring I would have multiple cuts from both sides of the blade. It was my right hand, so my left was of no use trying to get my finger free. Thankfully, my daughter was there and she was able to pry it free of my finger which only gave me a small cut and even that bled alot and took some time to heal........truly sorry that happened. Make sure you don't get infected. Keep us posted on how you're doing.
Sandy's Space

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Ouch, just reading that made my toes curl up! Hope you heal soon. Don't bleed on the white hardanger!

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

Oh dear, it sounds painful. I've read of the danger in using a mandolin and that is why I've never bought one.