Thursday 21 January 2021

Getting ready for Christmas

 I’ve yet to decide on a ‘proper project’ for this year so meanwhile have tagged several Christmas ornaments from the 2020 Just CrossStitch ornament issue and have made a start on them.   

This pointsettia will be finished as a flat round and have silver cord and hanger.

I intend to finish Joy to the World as a flat rectangle with a thin ribbon to edge it and a broader matching ribbon as a hanger.

The diamond was three by three in the original chart but I scaled down as I didn't want such a big ornament to finish.   I think a small padded pillow finish for this one.

And the last one for this batch is the Festive Jersey.   I intend to make a small wire coat hanger from florist wire to attach at the neck so that it can hang on the tree with a ribbon - possibly a narrow white ribbon I think.

This is a great way to economically use up scraps of linen (of which I seem to have many) and floss from stash.   I still have spare fabric on the left hand side and will make a couple more ornaments before I call it quits with this piece of linen.   

And I admit to a certain feeling of righteous satisfaction at making full use of a small scrap of linen and in having a head start on this year's ornaments.   But still no decision on the 2021 project :(



20 comments:

Frugally challenged said...

Your's is the first Christmas post I have read this year! I've started to think about Christmas stuff but nothing decided yet. My 2021 will largely finishing my PhDs. (I do feel posh writing that!)

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Impressive! You will have many nice ornaments for 2021 and its just January

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I've been stitching the Poinsettia today too! I'm using a scrap of green Linen. I use all my ting scraps too, who needs a 3 inch border on a small? Half an inch is plenty!

mamasmercantile said...

All beautiful. I must admit I am impressed by how early you have started for Christmas.

Margaret said...

Ha ha. It’s not that I’m anxious for Christmas to arrive or anything! What is a PhDin relation to stitching?

Margaret said...

I hope so. One of my nieces mentioned her tree looked a little bare so I will help fill it :)

Margaret said...

I love the JCS books and even more for the fact that I can use up tiny scraps of linen.

Margaret said...

I think it’s the left over festive spirit from when I take down my tree. And also it helps fill the time until I decide on the year’s big project.

Frugally challenged said...

Project half Done!

At Home In New Zealand said...

I had to do a double-take at your heading LOL - I haven't had any thought at all for Xmas this year! :)

Margaret said...

A great! I have one of those so must remember this acronym.

Margaret said...

Don't worry. I've not thought about it beyond these ornaments and one other stitching project I want to do :)

Clare-Aimetu said...

Great stitching for Chrisymas, it's always good to get ahead. Your 2021 project will come to you when you least expect it.

Grace said...

That red Christmas jumper ornament was designed by my friend Caroline - I shall show her your blog post - she will be thrilled to know the someone has stitched her design!

Margaret said...

Thank you

Margaret said...

Goodness! I shall laugh if she sees the alteration’ I made to cover an unforced error:)

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

It's great to have made such a good start on 2021's Christmas ornaments.

Leonore Winterer said...

Christmas ornaments in January, you are way ahead of the game! I have some scrap linen to use up as well, so might join you soon.

Pamela said...

Great ornaments! I’m all for using every small piece of leftover linen.

Astrids dragon said...

They are all going to be lovely ornaments, I really love the jersey. It will look great on a hanger.