Thursday 7 January 2021

Beading will not become my new obsession

 Last year I won a Mill Hill Beaded Kit as a prize at Embroiderers Guild and immediately felt the pressure to get this stitched ready for the Show and Tell after the summer holiday break.   I didn't immediately feel the love for this kit.   Perforated Paper, Beads (lots of beads) etc etc   But I followed the excellent instructions and eventually reached the point of sorting out all the colours of the beads from the mixed packs.   Then a day or two of stagnation before today deciding to sit down at the table and bead.  So I did.  A good part of the morning and a good part of the afternoon.   Just as well it was not really the weather for gardening:)

And, this is progress so far.   The weather forecast is for rain tomorrow so I am hopeful that this piece will be completed.   As I don't intend to frame it or use it I will be gluing stitching a piece of felt to the back and placing this at the back of the display cabinet.

And now the confession -  I am a little over absorbed and would almost be persuaded to stay up through the night to get this finished.  Not that I love it or even really like it but I have to admit that the beads make it shine and add a certain pizazz to this piece.

Lessons learned -  I will not be adding beading to my list of crafts nor the supplies to my stash.  And it is not a good idea to try to stitch on perforated paper with beads if you have a splint on your right thumb and are right hand dominant :(


14 comments:

Denise said...

It is so hard or maybe in my case, impossible to stitch something that you don't really like. Occasionally, I add a few beads to give a little sparkle. I'm not into doing a lot of beads. I think it is very commendable that you are doing
this piece since you won it at the guild. You're stitching is always lovely. I will be interested in seeing what you stitch next!

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

I like the added dimension that beads can give to a stitched piece but I don't really enjoy beading. I regard it a necessary evil to achieve the desired effect.

mamasmercantile said...

Margaret it looks amazing, I love the idea of adding beads. Not sure if it is a skill I possess but worth a try.

Margaret said...

Thanks Denise. I’ve reached the home stretch on this piece and can move on to an unfinished piece next. Again it’s something I must do rather than really really want to do :)

Margaret said...

I agree Mary but from now on I think beading will be left for my Christmas ornaments

Margaret said...

Thanks. I do like the dimensional effect of the beads.

At Home In New Zealand said...

My mother loved doing embroidery and often used beads and metallic thread. Some of her work is incredible - I really don't know how she did it all.

Clare-Aimetu said...

Your beads look great, they do add a little something to a design. I use them when I must, they are a bit tricky to handle and easy to drop.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I actually enjoy adding beads to designs! I've even stitched some which are all beads. But you do have to have the right set-up. I prefer to sit at a table and have them all spread out in front of me. Working on the settee is asking to have them spill all over the floor!

Margaret said...

While I love embroidery I like neither beads nor metallic threads. But I admit they add a certain pizazz

Margaret said...

I had to sit at the table to stitch this as I was fearful of a bead tsunami:)

Margaret said...

The table it was! The settee is going to the charity shop this week and the new one is to be delivered. I doubt the charity shop workers need it to be full of beads:)

Leonore Winterer said...

I'm one of the pro-beading people - it's my favourite part for sure in a project like this! But to each their own, and even if you don't enjoy it much, it does look gorgeous!

Olde Dame Holly said...

In the 1970s and 1980s I did many, many beaded cross-stitch projects and lots of perforated paper projects! I am noticing a small resurgence of perf paper for x-stitch!