Saturday, 20 February 2021

An overdue update

 It has been a while since I updated but in reality not much has been accomplished.   Five of the Christmas ornaments are now fully finished but even that didn’t get my mojo back.   In desperation I trawled through my Gift of Stitching magazines and found this.   

The unusual geometry of the biscornu appealed.  I intend to back stitch all around the sewing line so I can whip stitch it together more easily.

And I have made a start on my 3D pohutukawa flower.   The leaves are done ready to cut out and back with felt.   I now need to get started on the rich red stamens (pistils?) of the actual flower.   Creative 3D work such as this is way outside my comfort zone but I attend a monthly group whose purpose is to show and tell finishes and WIPs from the month.   The others are all wildly artistic and creative so ..... :) One lady who attends is currently stitching a ‘fabric paper’ from which she will fold an origami hummingbird.   Each section is meticulously planned out so that feathers, beak, legs etc come in correct colours and places.   This is to be her entry in an exhibition where the theme is ‘From the Simple to the Complex’.  It is fun seeing what the others do but my pohutukawa will be my first and last foray into this unknown territory.   I shall remain happily in 'counted work' territory.

Next I am going to attempt a small zipper purse made from 1 inch squares stitched together with feather stitch.   If successful I will have another use for my sewing fabric scraps :)

8 comments:

  1. Lovely to see you posting Margaret, that is an unusual layout but a nice design. Your 3D work looks intriguing, I'm looking forward to seeing how it grows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. Hopefully the pohutukawa will go well. I blindly going ahead :-)

      Delete
  2. I have not yet attempted a biscornu, but love them. I like that idea of backstitching the sewing lines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I like to backstitch around in perle cotton when I need to join two counted pieces. It helps keep me accurate.

      Delete
  3. That's an interesting way to stitch a biscornu, usually it's two separate squares.
    Did you know that Kirsten has recently produced an index for every design in every issue of GoS? You can download it from the website. Let me know if you can't find it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It was a little hard on my spatial awareness but I managed to join it all together correctly and am pleased with the result. A button or two tonight and I should be able to show off:)

      Delete
  4. Your 3D pohutukawa flower sounds interesting but definitely outside my comfort zone. I'm going to try a #12 perle when joining my next biscornu as I often split the thread when joining with two strands of embroidery cotton.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I usually join with #12 perle but with this one I have used matching sewing thread. So much easier:)

      Delete