Thursday 31 December 2020

Farewell to 2020

The housework is done, windows are polished inside and out, the car is clean, the lawns are mowed and the laundry is dry and folded away.   The DBEM has had her fingernails cut(!), and there is nothing else on the list.   It feels good to have everything clean and tidy on the last night of the old year.   And a bonus -  I have two finishes to show off.

First the basket band is completed and has been attached to the basket and more importantly, is already in use.

Basket Back

Basket Front

And to ensure that it fitted the circumference I stitched the year!
I am amazed at how this band addition has elevated a humble basket purchased cheaply from Trade Aid (the local fair trade shop).   This basket is deep enough to hold all my needlework necessities as well as a current project.   At the moment it is missing the project as I have nothing chosen as yet -  a pleasant task for tomorrow :)

And the Temperature SAL for 2020 is complete too.   I am going to miss this from my evening programme.

Palmerston North temperatures 2020

Comparison with Auckland 2019
I am going to mount the Palmerston North one on foam core also and both of them will be displayed.  It has been great fun to see the difference - it is certainly cooler down here in Palmerston North although last summer did have several "Dark Red" days but there were more "Light Blue" days in the winter too.  

Now what will I do for my year long project this year?   Already I have chosen the Christmas Ornaments I want to stitch but it seems strange to begin stitching those in January so I have promised myself a deep dive into the stash cupboard tomorrow and I'll choose something new and exciting.

Yesterday I had another pacemaker check and was told that I will have my lead replaced sometime in January when the cardiologist returns from his summer holiday.   Meanwhile I am taking things carefully and as instructed, keeping driving to a minimum.   I am happy to be out walking again and can now manage a 30 minute walk each evening without my heel and ankle giving any trouble.   I did walk to the library too and picked up my latest request 'The Sewing Machine' by Natalie Fergie.   I have a couple of others to finish before I can begin that one but it looks interesting and I have half promised the DBEM that I will read it aloud to her.

Thank you to all who have read my blog and left comments.   Next month will be 13 years since I began this blog and I still enjoy keeping a record of stitching projects and sometimes "life events".
I wish you all a very Happy New Year.  Stay Home, Stay Safe, Be Kind.


 

14 comments:

Denise said...

I find your temperature projects very interesting. I live in Georgia, USA so we are in
winter. So far only a few very cold days, not
bad right now. I, too, am thinking of a new project to start off the new year. Let's pray
that the covid19 will fly away, never to return.
Wishing you & your mother a very happy new year!

Heritage Hall said...

Dear one ~ You continue to amaze with the beauty of your work and all that you accomplish day by day.. and again to mention
the honor and devotion you accord your DBEM.
May yours be a blessed and fulfilling New Year....

Margaret said...

Thank you. You will be hoping the winter is not too severe with so much COVID about.

Margaret said...

A very happy and blessed New Year to you also.

At Home In New Zealand said...

Your temperature charts are intriguing, quite fascinating, and interesting to compare the differences.
I hope 2021 will bring you good health and much satisfaction from your stitching projects :)
Mxx

Grace said...

Dear Margaret
Wishing you a very Happy and healthy New Year. And plenty of time for your stitching!

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

The band looks good on your basket. The difference between the two temperature quilts is interesting. Happy New Year to you and your mother.

Margaret said...

The temperature charts were fun to do. I have laced both of them and am ready to fabricate a simple hanging as I don't want to pay for professional framing.

Margaret said...

Thank you.

Margaret said...

Thank you. I hope to have more time this year as I am stopping one of my weekly activities.

Leonore Winterer said...

Happy new year! It must feel so nice to have everything checked off you to do list. Not that I know about it haha :D
The basket band looks great. Looking forward to seeing what you'll put inside!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

The basket looks great and much prettier than the box I am using which used to contain nappies!
Glad you looked after Mum's selfcare for New Year too!
I'll be celebrating my 11th Blogaversary this year so only a little bit behind you.
The two Temperature SALs look great as a comparison. I decided not to do one the second year because otherwise I would have felt compelled to do one every year!

Margaret said...

I’ll try and remember to send you a photo. It’s capacious and very satisfactory so I am well pleased.

Margaret said...

Thanks Jo. My mother laughs that I have an obsession with baskets, boxes and tins. She’s correct but in my defence they are useful storage.