Tuesday 8 December 2020

What a surprise!

 Last night was our final meeting of the year at Embroiderers Guild and we all presented our finished articles for The President's Challenge.   This year the topic set was "Inspired By a Book" and as I have posted on this blog before I stitched a tin topper and an inside lining.   If it had not been for the encouragement of a friend from Guild I may have conveniently "forgotten" to take my piece.   However,  unwillingly,  I took it along and placed it quietly on the table and learned that the winner would be decided by viewers choice.   So satisfied that I wouldn't be called to account for what I feel is a poor piece,  I enjoyed the company of the others and admired their work and caught up with their current projects.


After a delicious pot luck dinner and a successful AGM the president announced the winner and guess what.... my poor effort had won!   My jaw dropped open and I was speechless.    So thank you Sophie, my friend for your encouragement to enter.   A splendidly successful way to end my first year at this new guild.

The prize was this little kit which I shall stitch over the summer holiday so that I have something for the Show and Tell table at our first meeting next year.

Today I have been putting the buttons on several dozen Gingerbread Men, ready for the boxes of baked goodies I will deliver to the neighbours in the small cul-de-sac where I live.   Also the DBEM has needed my help in finishing off her current knitting project.  And I have had the latest Jeffrey Archer book on loan from the library.   So on a windy wet day it has been good to stay inside and be happily occupied.   But I'd love the weather to clear up as my garden desperately needs some tender loving care after the gales of the last couple of days.



12 comments:

Denise said...

Congratulations on a much deserved win! Your finishes are always very neat. I can't say
that for mine. I know your neighbors will enjoy
your goodies. Merry Christmas!

Heritage Hall said...

You won the prize and why not? such a detailed and beautifully finished piece. You
are accomplishing so much (baking, reading and such) during these hectic yet down times. Brava !!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

What a lovely surprise for you! It is a beautiful little tin. I think miniature projects appeal to people, there's a lot of detail in this one too.
It will be nice for the Guild if you can finish the prize for the next meeting too.

Linda Meyer said...

Congratulations on your richly deserved win!

Clare-Aimetu said...

Congratulations, your tin looks super. Which Jeffery Archer book are you reading? It good to read somewhere in the world people are gathering and enjoying time together, hopefully that will be for us all one day.

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

Congratulations on your win.
I read the first in the William Warwick series earlier this year and enjoyed it.

Margaret said...

Thanks I hope the neighbours do enjoy the baking. I've had fun preparing it all.

Margaret said...

Thank you.

Margaret said...

It sure was a surprise Jo and stitching the prize will be another challenge.

Margaret said...

Thank you. I've just finished the second book in the William Warwick series, Hidden in Plain Sight. by Jeffrey Archer and am already itching for him to write the next.

Margaret said...

Thank you. This William Warwick series is great isn't it. I was hooked and daily life was an intrusion into my reading!

Leonore Winterer said...

You might have been surprised, but I am not - I always though this was a lovely entry for the challenge. Well done!