Monday 1 July 2024

And home

 June 28  - June 30

We left Amsterdam in the evening of a beautiful warm day 

and arrived in Dubai in the morning to a much hotter temperature.   At that vast airport we had to step outside the terminal building briefly to enter a bus to go from Building C to Building A.   The instant we opened the door both Little Sister and I gasped as our glasses steamed over.  It was already 33 degrees Celsius at 6:30am!


At Terminal A we found the gate and with energy batteries all but exhausted we also found a place selling cold ginger beer.    The instant the assistant passed me the card reader machine Little Sister and I gasped as for two bottles of Ginger Beer it was 78 AED.   I’d never heard of AED before let alone a conversion rate but let me assure you that is $36 New Zealand dollars for two small bottles of Ginger Beer.   Such was my exhaustion and thirst that despite good Scottish ancestry which taught me frugality, I really didn’t care and quaffed it as if the price was merely a few cents.

Then began the loooong haul back to New Zealand where somewhere along the way of the safe and comfortable journey we lost a day.  It was good to see the shores of home and now safely back I’m dealing with the unpacking, the washing, the cold (it’s only 14 degrees Celsius today) and the jet lag.   Hopefully I will soon feel like picking up a needle and finding a new stitching project.

9 comments:

Brenda M. Côté said...

Thank you for all the wonderful trip blogs--I very much enjoyed traveling vicariously through your posts. Now I look forward to see what you'll stitch now that you're back home.

Lee said...

Welcome home, have so enjoyed all you have shared of your travels

Pamela said...

Welcome home. I’ve followed your wonderful trip day by day and have enjoyed it all! How amazing!

Chris said...

What a wonderful trip you've had, you've seen some amazing places, thank you for sharing them.

Linda Meyer said...

I read every blog of your trip and enjoyed it immensely. Thank you! Welcome home.

Frugally challenged said...

I've really enjoyed your trip! Great that you started saving all those years ago and were able to do so much.

AnnP in VA said...

Thank you for taking us along on your journey. I loved it!

diamondc said...

Margaret: It sounds like you had an amazing trip, wow and to think that the Ginger Beer was that expensive.

Catherine

Erica said...

Margaret, I wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed hearing about your trip! Some of the places you visited, I had been to, but many of them were new to me. I felt like I was on the trip with you!
I know how exhausting travel can be! Have an good long rest, and I am sure you will get back to stitching soon!