Friday 29 April 2022

Ukrainian Whitework, Hardanger and ....

 I’m midway through another two Sewing Sets for the Great Nieces.   And I’m justifiably tired of this project!   The hardanger one will get completed as I’m currently working on the bag. 

 Pincushion, scissor fob and needle book are done - minus a couple of finishing touches such as scissors and a fastener on the needle book.  I put emery in the scissor fob to add weight - a satisfying touch that will also be useful for keeping needles healthy.

But the Ukrainian Whitework set has come to a grinding halt.   I finished the needle book and the scissor fob.  They too need the scissors and a fastener for the book.   In this scissor fob I put a New Zealand $1 coin - a satisfactory weight and a secret that may well go undiscovered into posterity😉.  I cannot summon up the enthusiasm at present to complete this sewing set so it will sit in the box while I work on my next “itch to stitch”.  

At the same time I have been working on a Quiet Book for my newest Great Niece.   She is only 3 months old so I have plenty of time to work slowly on this but I am thoroughly enjoying it.

So far 1) a zip up tent with a small teddy bear who sleeps inside fastened by a press stud (dome).   He's tied by a ribbon so can't get lost!


2) the centre page -  fruit in a bag that can be buttoned on to its matching pair 


3) threading a mouse through the holes in the swiss cheese from his little 'mouse hole'

My face is slowly recovering from the fall but my confidence to go out walking has completely disappeared.  I needed to go to the post box a day or two ago and it required the summoning of tremendous amounts of courage for just that 20 minute stroll.  Even the fact that I got there and back safely hasn’t restored me to the regularity of daily exercise so I think I will join a gym and use their treadmill - surely handholds on each side of me, even if not used, will be enough to get me back to my regular 60 minutes a day?

And I have the Downton Abbey movie to look forward to at the end of next week.  Yay!

4 comments:

Frugally challenged said...

I am so jealous of your new Great Niece. That book looks such fun!

Your anxiety about going out isn't so much fun, though. I've been rather ill for a couple of weeks and I too am finding it difficult to get walking again.

Heritage Hall said...

Margaret dear - How I admire your exquisite work...each blog entry imparting so much visual
pleasure. So sorry to hear that your fall has left you with this anxiety about walking outdoors. I had hip surgery a while back and that and the pandemic lock down left me idle for some time (had not driven my car at all.) My dear Son has been facilitating my getting out...so
the other day I made up my mind to get behind the wheel for a test run...how well I understand
your trepidation... but the Lord and determination got me through and although not fully confident, I am not as nervous about returning to driving when the spirit moves. I understand one must retain muscle memory in order to enable such coordination, so practice, practice. Your
thought about using the treadmill may be just your ticket...blessings....

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

The sewing sets are beautiful but a lot of delicate work. Whereas the Quiet Book looks more fun to make. I love the idea of buttoning on the matching fruits, a clever game.
I hope the treadmill will help get you up to walking speed again.

Leonore Winterer said...

Your sewing sets are coming along great, but I just love that quiet book! So cute.
Hope you'll get back to exercising soon. Just be careful and I'm sure things will work out :)