Thursday 28 March 2019

A Finish

Today I completed the Octagonal Box.   After much thought as to how I would hinge the lid, I ended up whip stitching the two pieces together loose enough to form a hinge.   For the front a small tassel makes sufficient weight to close and a pull to open.  Success in my book.

The pin cushion and the needlebook (which have Land on one side and Sea on the other) are complete and sufficient as I do not intend to use this box.   It will sit in my cabinet with all the other pieces and create work for someone upon my demise :-)
It has been a good week.   I have sorted through my bookshelves and taken a bootload of books to the secondhand store.   My car has a new Warrant of Fitness.   I bought another 50 freesia bulbs to plant for Spring flowering. The back of the knitting project is complete and the left front is started.  Tomorrow I need to cut carefully around the buttonhole edge of the Hardanger Doily and finish one of my library books.   And I plan to kit up the annual Christmas Ornaments for the nieces and nephews. 
It has been a good holiday.   And the best part is that I was forced to book another two weeks annual leave so have that to look forward to from 15 - 30 April.   Yes, it is stretched to encompass public holidays for Easter and Anzac Day.   Ahhhh clever me!

22 comments:

Shortbread and Ginger said...

I love it!

Frugally challenged said...

I have really enjoyed seeing this box develop - probably more than anything else I have seen you create. Thank you.

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Glad you've had a good break Margaret, your finish is so clever and so neat.

Heritage Hall said...

Beautiful Box..... to save work for someone
I would not mind if you left my name in it
for that someone to forward someday ...LOL.
You certainly use your time wisely and I hope you are arranging relaxation pauses
as well... Have a wonderful time of it.

Unknown said...

Your octagonal box finish is beautiful. Whipping the top on works great for a piece that will be for display mostly. In future you might try making a fabric hinge matching the lining on something you think might be opened more often. I read your blog often and enjoy it, even though rarely do I comment on anyone's posts. I will say that I admire greatly your dedication to your mother.
Jennifer

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Fantastic fully finish there. This is a lovely design and you have made a beautiful box. Feel free to put my name down for it too LOL.

Margaret said...

Thank you. I am relatively pleased with how this turned out.

Margaret said...

Thanks. I did toy with the idea of doing a scissor fob for a tiny pair to sit inside. In the end Scots ancestry prevailed...why pay for scissors that will not be used. So this is it for that pattern.

Margaret said...

Thank you Ann. I have enjoyed the break and feel a little more confident that I will be able to profitably fill the time once retired.

Margaret said...

Ha ha. Shall I do so? But I would need to leave an address as well :-)

Margaret said...

Thank you. I didn't intend to use this so a more fragile hinge will suffice. As you say, fabric hinges are sturdy and endure greater use.

Margaret said...

Thanks Jo. I am still basking in the warm satisfaction of a full finish although my mind is ticking over with "next projects"

Smily-Света said...

What a marvellous finish! Like a piece of treasure

Margaret said...

Thank you. This was certainly an interesting project and turned out exactly as the photo on the chart promised.

Heritage Hall said...

Just joshing... a beautiful heirloom for one of your loved ones. Enjoy
you free time....

MartinaM said...

Wow, this Box looks great, i love it.
Have a nice weekend.

Margaret said...

Thank you. I'm pleased with the box even though I don't intend to actually use it :-)

Astrids dragon said...

And what a wonderful finish it is! Even if you don't use it, it's a beautiful display.
I spy a little mermaid, she's a cutie.

Margaret said...

Thank you. I love the sea creatures on this more than the land. The mermaid, crab and octopus are really cute.

Sandy said...

The box turned out so pretty. Such nice little details. Well done.
Sandy's Space

Margaret said...

I love it too Sandy. The little creatures are all rather cute and the shape just that bit unusual.

Leonore Winterer said...

That is a wonderful finish. Well done! And hooray for two more weeks off work! I just came back from three weeks off, but I'm surely looking froward to Easter...