Thursday 22 March 2012

Mid week progress report

The growth chart for Kelly's birthday (in November) has grown.  So many of these kits are the same, un-numbered DMC thread and Aida cloth!   But in the interests of having accurate measurements - it is a height chart after all -  I am persisting although not yet with a great deal of enjoyment.   Certainly my face doesn't have a grin like this elephant.


This year I decided that each time I completed a finish for myself I could finish-finish some of the small "bits" I have stitched up and they can go on the sale of work table at the Embroiderers Guild exhibition in September.  Here is the collection so far.  A small lavender bag, a bookmark, three small hanging ornaments and a "fishy" needlebook.
The heart ornament was the first time I had tried a ruched edge -  and the verdict is time consuming but effective.
Tomorrow is the last day of a frantically busy working week.   But not so busy that I didn't manage to read a book (or two or three) including this one.  
This novel starts in 2003 when a group of jurors must decide the winner of a competition to design a memorial to be built on the site of the World Trade centre.   Naturally the entries are anonymous and when the selection is revealed.... the architect is one Mohammed Khan.   Mo, as he is known, is born in Virginia and brought up a wholly secular American but the fact that his ethnic heritage is muslim causes immense waves of discussion, diasgreement, prejudice, argument and conflict.   I will tell you no more, as you should read this book for yourself.   The final section of the book takes place 20 years after the events of the opening chapter and  Amy Waldman's crystal gazing, while not entirely plausible is certainly desirable.   If you can get hold of a copy do read it.   Today the HDHEM started the book so I am predicting a couple of days of silence as she loses herself in this very readable book and I look forward to a lively discussion afterwards.
Well that's enough of book reviews.   Hope you all have a great evening

3 comments:

Ann at Beadlework. said...

You've got me intrigued with the book Margaret, I'm always on the lookout for good books. At the moment I'm contemplating a Kindle which I said I would never do as I so love the feel of a book in my hand.

Tatkis said...

Lovely finished items, and cute elephant :) good luck with the rest animals!

Hugs,
Tatyana

Anonymous said...

Hello

Your elephant project is lovely.

Your finished items are beautiful!