Sunday 17 April 2011

The Happy Dance

Hello once again - I haven't been away nor have I been sick, only busy trying to complete 'the memory book' and tonight it is finally finished.   This has been both enjoyable and frustrating.   Every stitch was filled with love and prayers for my god-daughter but I also had immense frustration at my own limited design skills.   However, for better for worse this gift is now finished well in time for her eighteenth birthday in a month or two.
Some snaps of the finished piece

Imagination deserted me when I reached the stage of the front cover so it is simple stem stitch and simple words


My god daughter's initials form the large letters on three of the pages and for each letter I have chosen a Bible verse commencing with that letter.  T was done in Assisi work, C was in Cross Stitch and W was in blackwork.  Two of the other pages have medallions of my favourite Wessex stitchery .   I stuck to a grey and red colour scheme and stitched on antique mocha cashel linen to give the pages an aged look.

And on the last two pages I made "frames" and inserted a couple of significant photos.   Look at this one.   We have both changed over the past 18 years!!!

14 comments:

Lee said...

well done what an achievement and to have it finished early..

Ann at Beadlework. said...

I'll say it again, what an amazing gift to receive - the love and work that has gone into it is so obvious. Well done Margaret.

Gillie said...

That is such a perfect gift and god daughter will love it! I'm not sure whether I'm more impressed with the design and making of it or the fact that you have finished it so well in advance!!!

Karen said...

Great job Margaret! It is a beautiful gift. So much thought and love has gone into this. And to finish it well in advance of her birthday! :)

Catherine said...

What a sweet gift!! I am sure she will treasure it!

sheri said...

What an incredible achievement for you, Margaret, and what a treasured keepsake for your god-daughter. Everything about it is wonderful -- the color scheme, antiqued linen, the choice of stitches, the actual stitching, photos, so many special touches. And is that your favorite red floss?? Perfect!

Well done!

Anna van Schurman said...

Spectacular!

Ellen said...

What a gorgeous gift! You did a wonderful job with this Memory Book!

Hugs,

Anne said...

Wow! How lovely to receive such a thoughtful and beautifully stitched memory book. I love the simple design you chose for the front cover. The framed picture of you two is precious and I'm sure she will treasure it forever!

hohla said...

Margaret! Bravo! Embroidered book - it is a very good job!

I got your greeting Happy Birthday! Thank you very much! I'm so pleased!

http://saolya.blogspot.com/2011/04/blog-post_18.html

Melissa said...

What a beautiful gift you've created! Congratulations, Margaret!

Smily-Света said...

I'm astonished -it is so beautiful!Your works have taste and charm.

Michelle said...

Congratulations on the great finish! I'm sure your god daughter will always treasure it.

Carol R said...

Wow Margaret - your Memory Book is stunning!