Sunday 26 February 2017

Japan Day 2017

Today I caught the bus into the city as Japan Day was being held on the waterfront.   I was amazed at how many people were there.  
Several younger women were in beautiful summer yukata.  Some older women demonstrating ikebana and tea ceremony wore elegant and more formal kimono but I could only manage to snap these.

All around the venue were stalls selling food and the smells were a nostalgic reminder of summer festivals in Japan.   I felt as if I had travelled back in time!
Crepes -  paper thin

Tornado Potatoes -  Spiral cut on a skewer and deep fried
Even the lanterns strung up were reminiscent of summer festivals!
It was a fun afternoon - but that is enough photos for one day :-)

6 comments:

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Oh wish I could have gone with you Margaret. I would have loved such an outing. Be careful with the hand.

Queeniepatch said...

I have never seen Tornado Potatoes in Japan! They look interesting!

Pamela said...

How cool!
I have seen (and eaten!) those fried potatoes on a skewer at festivals, but didn't know they had a name.

deb said...

Looks like it was a great day!

Leonore Winterer said...

This sounds like a wonderful way to spend a day, so many pretty things :)

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Looks like a fun day out. Love those spiral potatoes too!