Sunday 8 August 2021

A new start

 Last week a friend gave me a pile of "thrums" from her weaving and I diligently separated them into blue and white and then pondered what use I could make of these.   At first I thought tassel but the lengths are too short to successfully make the requisite hanging cord so I thought again and eventually decided on a small zipper closure purse.   The canvas scrap was from stash and I think I even have an appropriate zipper so this could be a very economical project.   So far so good....in the empty diamonds I will stitch satin stitch in the off white thread and although an uninteresting design it will be practical and hard wearing.

And tonight I am back to getting the last Kogin luncheon mat completed.   I have the backing fabric and the pellon so once this one is stitched I can get them both made and into use.

The Blue Alphabet bag is coming along well with three panels complete.   What was originally planned to be eight panels will now be only six and I will finish it into a small hexagonal bag - inspired by a Betsy Morgan project in my new book.

The DBEM gave me this book as an early (very early) birthday present and although I may never stitch all the projects I am having a great deal of pleasure in reading this book thoroughly and drooling over the photos.

It is a very cold night here and we are promised icy winds from the Polar Blast.   Some areas will have snow to sea level - how fortunate we live some distance from the sea!   But it is hot water bottles and extra blankets for both of us:-)

4 comments:

Pamela said...

Three great projects! I love kogin. I have seen those Betsy Morgan books online and I think the projects are fabulous. They are a little pricey though, especially with the postage from Australia. Your alphabet panels are gorgeous!

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

Three varied projects Margaret which are all lovely.
I get a lot of enjoyment reading my craft books and drooling over the photos too.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Very frugal work on your purse!
Love the three panels for the bag too. I got an email from the UK stockists of that book and it did look very tempting. Inspirations always have gorgeous photography for their projects.

Leonore Winterer said...

Excellent work making use of those thrums! And the book looks super interesting.