Saturday 21 December 2019

Settled in

With neither accident nor breakage the shift went well.   My sister-in-law is a bundle of energy and with her enthusiastic support all the boxes were emptied on shifting day and are now sorted into their permanent homes.   More to the point, the DBEM placed her chair, her Ott Light, her table and all essentials in "her spot" and has since been singing the repetitive chorus "I love this place".   I'm happy she likes it and feels settled already.
This is helped by a beautiful flower garden.   Just a little past its prime it is still providing beautiful roses to cut and we are enjoying these beauties.   I know nothing about roses, including names, but a pretty garden is a real bonus.
Also some stitching has been done. Back in September I purchased an Inspirations magazine because it had an interesting looking project from Betsy Morgan.   But I didn't want to pay the price for Gloriana Silks so attempted a substitute.   At this point my lack of "the artistic gene" was evident and I'm not super happy with my choices.   Not having a variegated floss required some adapting of the design too.  Anyway this is progress so far.  Only the wording left to do and I'm not sure what I will put in that box.

 Nothing daunted I purchased a Wildflowers silk variegated and attempted to choose toning DMC floss for the other colours.   I'm still stitching this experiment and am no more satisfied.   The second attempt is too dull I fear, but we shall see.

Anyway there is plenty to tempt me away from stitching at the moment.  For the first time I have a dedicated sewing space that is not in the main living area so I can shut the door on a mid-project mess!   First up is two sets of shorts and tops for my great nieces to take away with them on holiday in late January. 

We are having a quiet Christmas here enjoying the new surroundings.   Seasons Greetings to all out in Blogland who may be reading this.   Hopefully more updates will follow now that life is settling to a better, less stress-filled rhythm.

10 comments:

At Home In New Zealand said...

I'm so glad your move went well and you are settling in nicely - and what a bonus that your mother loves the place so much. I hope you both have a great Christmas :)

Ann at Beadlework. said...

I'm so glad you have arrived and are settling in Margaret, it's great that your mum loves her new home. Having a garden will be a joy to you both I'm sure - the rose is lovely, I have over forty in my garden but they are hard work - keeping them healthy and disease free is a constant battle.

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Selling/Purchasing/Moving into a new home is stressful! Hope the move went smoothly and you are settling into your new home and you can have days of stress filled stitching

Margaret said...

Thankyou. We are both very grateful for this lovely home.

Margaret said...

There are around twenty roses in the garden but some will be sacrificed as I really want to grow vegetables out the back. Meanwhile I will learn how to flower garden:)

Margaret said...

Thank you for your good wishes. I am looking forward to a less stressful time now.

Denise said...

I'm glad you got moved in just in time for the
Christmas holidays. I agree with the others that it is wonderful that your mom is happy in her new
place. When you can, let us see your new stitching projects. I'm planning on using January as the month to catch up on a few WIP
that I would really like finished so that I
can move on to something new.
Wishing you both a very Merry Christmas and
Happy 2020!

Heritage Hall said...

Margaret dear, may you and your Mom be greatly blessed in your new home and surroundings. Who knows, you may become the
rose grower of the neighborhood.. Those you
picture are so lovely. What good news that
your Mom is feeling right at home.. I know what that must mean to you. Blessings to you both during this sacred Christmas-tide.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

What gorgeous roses. I am glad that you are both settling in to your new home.

Leonore Winterer said...

I'm glad to hear you got all settled in. Your stitching looks great, I really like the nice bright colours.