Sunday 21 July 2019

Ah- Hardanger!!

I fished in stash and found linen and thread to create another Hardanger tassel.   All went well and the six components came together accurately.   Only the eyelets and construction are left to do.
Then the DBEM mentioned she would like a bookmark to give as a gift to her friend so I fished out a chart and some linen and started.   Oops!  Reverse stitching and a fresh start.   Oops again.   No reverse stitching this time I cut out the offending stitches with my trusty Clover Stitch Ripper.   Yet another start and another oops.   In disgust I put away that piece of 32 count linen and found some 28 count and made another start.   All good this time and the foundation is on the way for a Demonic Angelic Bookmark.
Each of the large central squares on the diagonal have to be cut and a hardanger angel stitched into them.   I think I will need to be relaxed and refreshed and have freshly cleaned spectacles before I attempt the cutting!
And on the discarded piece of linen I will stitch a cross stitch Christmas Ornament so my frugal self is not offended.   Linen is so expensive here I hate wasting any of it.

Three days of annual leave last week was most productive -  I stitched a new winter skirt, took the DBEM for a hair cut (and got a much needed trim myself), did the six weekly grocery shop and paid a visit to the Library.   And so tomorrow it is back to work - but only for another 8 weeks (and who is counting?)


10 comments:

MartinaM said...

Oh yes, Hardanger is great, I would have to do something again, somehow I just do not have the time.
Very pretty looks your beginning already, I'm looking forward to the finished picture.
Greetings Martina

Frugally challenged said...

Ooh, I'm counting! Retirement is wonderful but I'm just wondering how much MORE embroidery you'll be doing! Your patience with Hardanger is amazing

Margaret said...

Thanks Martina. I enjoy hardanger but it is frustrating when it doesn't work. This has made me realise I can't do it on the very fine linens as I used to. Just as well I have lots of 28 count in stash!

Margaret said...

Thank you. My plans for the start of retirement involve a strict timetable so that I won't spend all my day on embroidery or in reading:-)

Shebafudge said...

Oh dear! Sounds like an awful lot of frogging went on. It's looking great now :)

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Lovely work on the tassel but what a nuisance the bookmark was!
I can't believe we are in single figures for the countdown to retirement now!

Margaret said...

How right you are! The unpicking seemed interminable but everything is going well now.

Margaret said...

Thanks Jo. I am so looking forward to retirement day - the next big change will be when I go from counting weeks to counting days.

Leonore Winterer said...

So nice to see you back to your beloved hardanger. I hope bookmark will go smoothly from now on!

Margaret said...

Thank you. The bookmark is going much better now after the initial despair!