Sunday 17 February 2019

The DBEM

Recently there have been a couple of queries about what this acronym is so an explanation is due.
This was fabricated by me, myself and I as the internet name for my Deaf Blind Elderly Mother.  S
To be honest, she is not totally deaf although the TV volume is now set at 42!!   Nor is she totally blind although with advanced macular degeneration she sees very little clearly and has a white cane, a disability sticker and a Vision Impaired Badge!  (In case you ask we do not have a cat, that is a toy one the DBEM received as a gift last Christmas).

For the past 27 years she has lived with me and has occupied herself with various voluntary positions with a couple of charities, until some years ago when a couple of years of ill health meant I put the brakes on that.
Since then she has been knitting - woollen sweaters and cardigans for small children (up to the age of 4) which, in an annual pilgrimage in April of each year, we take to the local Hospice shop.   Even with her very poor eyesight she continues to knit by the "fingertip feel method" and this provides me with many opportunities to unravel and remedy.
Recently she had a bad fall and has been recovering.   Dutiful daughter insisted that she needed a more respectable dressing gown so now she really is "in the pink"

16 comments:

MartinaM said...

Admirable. That your mother in her age and almost blind can do so many great things. Respect.

Margaret said...

Thank you. I will pass this message on to her.

Frugally challenged said...

I always enjoy reading about your DBEM although in my mind she is your Dearly Beloved Elderly Mum. Either way I hope she is recovering well.

Ann at Beadlework. said...

I'm so glad that your mum is recovering Margaret, she's looking really good in both photos.

Maggie said...

I think it's great that your mum carries on knitting, even if it does mean that you have to 'help' out sometimes. My mum has macular degeneration too, she also has arthritis quite bad so cannot knit. I bet the knitted things are well received, I hope she is feeling better now.

Heritage Hall said...

What a sweetheart of a lady in all that
she accomplishes and what a steadfast daughter in honoring and sustaining Mother's dignity.... Both of you are inspiring role models....

Aurelia Eglantine said...

It's always a treat seeing what your Mother is up to with her knitting, and I'm sure her sweaters are appreciated by those lucky enough to get one. I'm so sorry to hear that she's taken a bad fall, but I hope she can recover and feels better soon :)

Margaret said...

She is of course, as you so well say, Dearly Beloved also!

Margaret said...

She's much more perky now Ann and getting around the house albeit with a walker not her stick.

Margaret said...

Thank you. The knitteds are always welcomed warmly at the Hospice Shop and sell well so the DBEM is happy.

Margaret said...

Thank you. I will remember your kind thoughts in the tough times.

Margaret said...

Thank you. She is recovering well now and feeling a lot more cheerful.

Astrids dragon said...

Your Mom has made beautiful cardigans, good for her! And she looks adorable in pink!
When my Mom could still use her hands, she knitted blankets for us all and I treasure them.

Margaret said...

Thanks. My Grandmother knitted me a couple of blankets many many years ago and I still use them and I'm sure they are extra warm with her love knitted in.

Leonore Winterer said...

I always love reading about your mum. It's great how she still keeps busy as much as possible...her knitting is great, and so even! That's the kind of skill that only comes with decades of experience, I guess.

Margaret said...

Thank you very much. She is on the mend now and much more independent again so I will be back to fulltime work from next week.