Saturday 16 February 2019

Col the Cobbler and an unsatisfactory finish

Several years ago, well thirteen to be precise, the DBEM and I went on a trip to Norfolk Island.   Apart from relaxing on the quiet beaches, enjoying early morning walks up and down small lanes, eating delicious food and absorbing the abundant history, I enjoyed the shopping - in particular two pairs of shoes.   Both are still going strong and today Col the Cobbler repaired one pair for me.  I had little faith in him, his pokey, grubby little shop or his inability to say when the repairs would be completed.  His billboard outside the shop is a wooden replica of Col himself.  Would you have faith in a woolly headed man whose face you can hardly see?
I have been painstakingly whipping the Quaker squares together in an effort to complete this Friendship Book project from 2016.  And now with one to go I find I've made an error.   A right disaster from start to finish this has been no enjoyable project.   So I have determined that five squares will be finished.  They will not be connected into an accordion book as the alphabet does not run consecutively.  They will be contained in a yet-to-be-sewn blue silk bag and consigned to the back of the display cabinet.   But I will be able to tick this one off the list.   I may have to make a label for the outside of the bag however - we shall see.

The stitching on the Hardanger Doily is now complete.  Currently I am sleep deprived and more than a little anxious over the DBEM's physical health so the cutting of the border will wait until I am in a better frame of mind.   It will become a birthday gift in April so there is time yet.
And that's all for today.

8 comments:

Sandy said...

The stitching looks awesome. Though I don't believe my eyes could do that fine stitching. Hope the health issues you mentioned get resolved. What do the initials DBEM stand for?
Sandy's Space

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Lovely to see your post today Margaret, I've been thinking about you and your mum. Your needlework is always so special.

Margaret said...

My eyesight isn't getting any better so I;m trying to use up the fine linens I have in stash. I put up an intro to the DBEM today:-)

Margaret said...

Thanks Ann. Mother is doing much better this week and is far more cheerful and positive which helps.

Astrids dragon said...

Such beautiful work! Yes, get your rest and then cut it.
Hugs to your Mom, hope she's doing better.

Margaret said...

Thank you. I'm far too tired to try cutting this at present but will be able to soon I hope

Leonore Winterer said...

I wonder if Col the Cobbler managed to surpass his reputation? Your stitching looks lovely, and even though that one project didn't quite turn out the way you wanted it too, it's still good to be able to cross it off the list.

Margaret said...

Col the Cobbler did well and I'm very happy with the repairs. His name and number are now on My List! We have a wet weekend promised so I may well get that project completely done.