Wednesday 9 January 2019

Back to Work

Back at work this week and all is still quiet in my department.  But you know what it's like when the days seem long and the evenings short!  By the time dinner is prepared and eaten; the dishes washed and the once round the walking circuit completed there isn't much time for anything else.   I continue to plod away at The Octagonal Box and with the lid and the base complete I'm working on the sides.   Fortunately my 'tennis elbow' seems to have settled a little and I can manage with minimal discomfort if I'm careful.
We are having hot days and muggy "tropical" nights here so energy levels are depleted for the DBEM  who can usually be revived with a stroll for a few minutes in the evening shade and cool.   Her exercise physiologist comes for a review next week and hopefully he will be pleased with how she has maintained her strength and balance.   So all good on that front at present.

I counted up the list of books read last year and found to my surprise that it was 105.   Surprise because I didn't include on the list any of the e-Books borrowed through the Library, so in reality it would have been many more.   Out of that number some of course are forgettable and some eminently memorable.   Yesterday I finished reading aloud to the DBEM - A Year in the Life of The Yorkshire Shepherdess (Amanda Owen) and we both enjoyed it very much.   The DBEM has just completed Anne Frank's Diary on her Blind Foundation Talking Book so a tale of life on the high dales of Yorkshire was a complete contrast.

And so the new year begins Chez Nous.

3 comments:

Ann at Beadlework. said...

What a coincidence - the shepherdess was on television last night in a programme based around James Herriot and his life. It's a programme called the Yorkshire vet and they based last night's episode around James Herriot - both his son and daughter went out with the vets and his daughter Rosie met the Yorkshire shepherdess who said she had been inspired by the writings of James Herriot. The "real" James Herriot (Alf Wight) was given an honorary degree on the day of my husband's graduation which was nice given that I read all his books and watched the whole tv series over and over.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Happy New Year to you two too! I love the Octagonal Box, it's going to be great when it's fully finished.
I also love the two angels in your header.

Leonore Winterer said...

Oh yes, the days seem to grow so much shorter once you're back at work! Your box is making great progress still, plus you are doing so well with your reading and walking.