Monday 31 December 2018

Goodbye to the old year

It's always an odd feeling, this week between Christmas and New Year, when I am on holiday but at home; have a schedule of Things To Do but no particular interest in doing them; look forward to the new start of a New Year  but feel that the old year is in some way incomplete.
To make bad matters worse I seem to have a repetitive strain injury in my right elbow (tennis elbow when I don't play tennis?) and so my stitching time has had to be severely curtailed.   Baking the weekly batch of scones for the DBEM's lunches was rather painful as is any repetitive task. So I made a double batch of scones and of gingerbread loaves and am hoping the inflammation will have subsided before any more DBEM-baking is required.
Still I have managed quite a lot and have taken the DBEM out on fine days to various little beaches around the harbour where we have enjoyed sun and fresh air.   Jeffrey Archer's latest book followed me home from the library and that held my interest for some hours too!   I have been out walking each day covering quite a few kilometres around the neighbourhood.
Tonight I decided to try some stitching (after doing none at all since 20 December) and found that half an hour's work could be achieved with no increase in discomfort.   Here is where the Hardanger Doily is up to now.   Just the centre square and the outside lacy edging to complete.
I have been through my Just Cross Stitch Christmas Ornament editions and marked out those I want to stitch in 2019.   Also, I have cut the pelmet vilene (skirtex) for the Octagonal Box and have laced three of the small sides for the inner lining.  And I have sewn one dress and made a start on another.
Not too shabby an effort.
But I am not staying up until midnight so I will sign out for 2018 and wish you all a very Happy New Year.

9 comments:

Frugally challenged said...

Definitely not a shabby effort! That hardanger is SO pretty. I'm looking forward to seeing the octagonal box. Happy 2019.

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Happy New Year Margaret, I hope it brings good things to you. It's not much fun having to limit your stitching time - let's hope it improves very soon.

Heritage Hall said...

My goodness, you have achieved a good deal
despite the "tennis elbow" The new doily is
elegant (your hardanger is so beautifully done) Here is to a new year filled with
good health and well-being for you and
your lovely DBEM.

Smily-Света said...

Happy New Year, dear Margaret! Your stitching is so nice and delicate!
Have a nice day,
Szvetlana

Astrids dragon said...

I'm glad you were able to get things done in spite of your injury. Your Hardanger is beautiful, so close to being done!

Grace said...

Greetings from across the pond! Wishing you and the DBEM a very happy and healthy New Year.

Sandy said...

Glad you're able to stitch without having pain and hope the inflammation is indeed gone. Your stitching is soooooo pretty.
Sandy's Space

Sandy said...

Time to blog walk again, so here I am waving hello.
Sandy's Space

Leonore Winterer said...

I'm sad to hear your time of was somewhat spoilt by health issues :( Hope your arm is doing better, and that you sill had a good time!