Sunday 16 June 2024

Amsterdam #4

 June 15th. Weather predicted to be wet but morning fine.

Little Sister and I successfully caught the #2 tram to Hoofddorpplein.   Looking at street names it reminds me of Wales where letters are so often doubled and pronunciation was for me a wild guess.

At this place there were two cafes calling to Little Sister.   One was Grannies, where we enjoyed a Coffee and a photo opportunity.   The man who served us reminded me so much of the little man in the weather house my grandmother used to have.  Something about the profile I think.   



We wandered along to a very tempting toy shop.   I had a mental tussle with myself over a very attractive wooden nativity set but discretion won the battle and I left empty handed.   But Little Sister was determined!   We crossed the road to another equally tempting store where I found some small trinkets that may delight some small girls I know.    

In the hairdressers I saw these and wondered if they would be any enticement?!

By then we were back at the main square and once more negotiated the complexity of cycleways, traffic lanes, tram lines and foot paths to cross diagonally and to have lunch at Nana’s Cafe.   




Here we almost met with a language disaster as there seemed to be no English menu but eventually one of the busy waitresses produced one for us and we chose - mint tea and a chicken flatbread for Little Sister and an Earl Grey and scrambled eggs for me.   This was the first cafe that unasked brought water to the table.   We admired their stylish carafes before reading the writing to discover that it was actually a vodka bottle!

Delicious meal over we caught the tram home and arrived just as it started to rain.   And it’s still raining!

1 comment:

Maggie said...

I think I'd struggle with those place names too, I wouldn't even know where to start in pronouncing them! The food looked good. Sounds like the weather has been the same as it is here at the moment, at least we have only had one shower of rain today, for a change.