Tuesday 25 July 2023

Taking a break from stitching

 Well, not a long one.   

Next year Little Sister and I are planning a trip to the UK.  To be brutally honest Little Sister is going with me on my trip to the UK🙂  as she says she has no specific wants and I have a looooong list.   So I have a large road map, my little notebook and plenty of time to create an itinerary.   But I have a shock at how close towns/cities are to each other.   Looking at the map I think “oh if Oxford is next that will be a days drive from Winchester” and then checking with Dr Google Maps I find it is around one hour😳.  This is a fun way to spend a day when I am stuck indoors with a head cold.

Our trip is not until May 2024 so I have plenty of time to plan the intended five weeks.   As a bribe I have promised to send  Little Sister to visit her son and grandson in Amsterdam for a week then meet her there and fly home from Schipol.   I shall probably explore London in that time if I pluck up the courage to do it alone.   Gold Hawk Road Fabrics are on my list along with 84 Charing Cross Road, and  Heatherwick’s Rolling Bridge  A very eclectic mix.

And my next project is a Wessex Stitchery Japanese Komebukuro for which I have selected colours and tacked out the linen.   I’m looking forward to this one.

8 comments:

Frugally challenged said...

Getting from city to city isn't the problem here - it's finding car parks! See if you can find park and ride schemes. And open top bus rides are a great way of seeing cities.

Maggie said...

What fun, getting around London should be no problem with the underground, just don't rely on trains and busses outside of London, they are not reliable!

Pamela said...

I’m so excited for you! I know travel to the UK has been on you list for a while now.

Clare-Aimetu said...

What an amazing trip. I live in the centre of the UK, if you have any questions just ask. Our cities are closer together as we are really quite a small island, however you need to allow time for traffic as for a small place there's plenty of people travelling around, especially on our motorways.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Oh my goodness, you’ve been planning this trip for so long! I can’t wait to hear all your plans and where you’re going to visit.
The weather should be nice in May, we seem to get our best Summer weather in May and June now then it rains in July and August!

Astrids dragon said...

Such fun, I hope you get to see and do everything you want to while you're there.

Leonore Winterer said...

Oh, that is a great amount of time to spend on a road trip, you're going to have so much fun and so many adventures! Yes, distances over here in Europe are quite short, compared to the US or Australia, for instance. That's why road trips are so much fun around here!

Grace said...

You should plan a visit to the Ashmolean Museum in Oxford, and walk through the Covered Market whilst you are there. Not many needlework shops in the UK, but Liberty is worth a visit in London. Please email me if you need any advice or help with your trip.