Friday 3 December 2021

My head is hanging in shame - a long absence

Today I was reading about a woman who described herself as "my mother's PA'.   Me too, I said, as my diary is full of the DBEM's entries: "Order prescription; Schedule podiatrist; Hearing Aid checks; Knitting yarn top up shop; Vaccine passport" etc etc etc.   Just occasionally I squeeze in "Embroiderers Guild; Stitching Group; Library" for myself:-)   I didn't realise it was so long since I had posted on my blog - no excuse really, just that life got in the way.

There has been lots of activity though -  the garden keeps me busy this time of year but I have had a lot of pleasure from all the flowers.   Our recent rains have ruined a lot of the roses but the Christmas lilies are about to pop, gladioli are flowering well and every day a different colour of Calla lily seems to pop up.   Strange things do happen though -  my deep blue hydrangea is a lovely shade of lilac this year!   I need to find out how to get it to revert to my favourite blue.   Any ideas?

It is fun to watch - even if my neighbour grins and says "Do you know you can't eat flowers.   How are your vegetables doing?"    "Very well", says I.   The asparagus has been abundant; the silverbeet,  broccoli and lettuce provide our necessary intake of leafy green veges; celery and white and red cabbage have made excellent coleslaw and my rhubarb needs to be renamed Red Triffid it is growing so well,   As a trial I grew some potatoes in a tub and they have surpassed expectations so I will have new potatoes for Christmas.   And there are carrots, red beet, runner beans etc coming along too.   

This week I completed the Frisian Whitework sewing set for one of my Great-nieces.   I received Yvette Stanton's book for my birthday and it has been really easy to follow her excellent instructions and teach myself about this new-to-me counted work technique.   

A needlebook, pincushion biscornu and a scissor fob are all contained in a small drawstring bag.   

Here's hoping I be back again quickly.






5 comments:

Frugally challenged said...

Great to see you back. I think hydrangeas like acid if they are to turn blue but you can buy a specific product to water in to do the job - or at least you can here in the UK. What are Christmas lilies in NZ?
Hope your DBEM is OK = and it's lovely to see you back!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Nice to see a post from you. I agree with the above comment, the soil composition will affect the colours of the hydrangea so look into that.
The whitework is beautiful, such a lovely set as a gift.

Lyn Warner said...

Your great-niece is very lucky. It looks beautiful.

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

The Frisian Whitework sewing set is lovely. You have been busy in the garden. I find that growing some of your own produce is satisfying.

Leonore Winterer said...

Glad to see you back! Our schedules look similiar with grandma's appointments, but as we are both still working, there's plenty of our own too. That sewing set looks great!