Thursday 20 May 2021

A new start

 Once again the DBEM and associated care have interrupted my plans and stitching progress has been slow.

The 14 year old television decided to stop showing pictures.   Sound was good and all other functions OK but no picture.   So after a few days I succumbed and Saturday afternoon a new one was delivered and installed.   So I have settled back to the regular life rhythm of The Chase followed by the news broadcast and then I hit the off switch.  

Deruta Sfilato has come off the frame and I have only the antique hem stitch to do.   This was a trial piece and would not pass any close inspection but I plan to mount it on a piece of plain silk and keep it in my drawer.   Later on I would like to try again and see if I can improve my technique.  I am happy that I managed to follow instructions and teach myself a new technique.

So I began the Acorn Etui and rather than “begin at the very beginning” I started with the Acorn Cap for the back and rapidly grew bored with the honeycomb stitch.   Effective it might be but there is little scope for imagination.  Now I have started in the back acorn itself and despite the lettering being stitched one over one, I am enjoying the variegation of the floss and am happy that it will all look well when finished. Thus I have started on parts two and three of the instructions which are by far the simplest but give me a good idea of the completed size.   


And to show you the 'verse' and the cute little acorns.   A compound monogram goes in the box and the year below it so guess what I will be stitching next.

And as a palate cleanser I have stitched some more on the Kogin Coasters.   I rather like these and hope I don't "fluff" the construction.  Somehow I never have a great deal of confidence at that stage of the stitching :-)

At the end of the month our Embroiderers Guild have a two day class which I have decided to do.   Little Sister is coming for the weekend so that the DBEM has company while I am out.   I have done the required preparation for the class and have sorted all my ‘non DMC threads’ into colour groups.   At this class I hope to learn something of the science of how to choose colours that harmonise rather than clash.   Up till now it has all been rather hit and miss for me and that could well be the reason I prefer to follow instructions rather venture into unknown territory.   I’m hoping for some increase in colour knowledge from this weekend class.    At the end of August there is another class scheduled at which Dorset Buttons will be taught but I’m not sure I will go to that one as it’s to be held during the week.

8 comments:

Olde Dame Holly said...

Hmm, I need to find out what the Dorset Buttons are! They sound cute just by the name. So many wonderful old techniques to learn.

Lyndle said...

Lovely work! Will be nice to see the deruta mounted. Enjoy your course!

Mylene said...

That is a great piece the Drawn Thread embroidery, great job on the new technique.
Loving the progress on the Acorn Etui.

Sandy said...

Beautiful stitching! The up coming class sounds interesting. I hope you enjoy it and learn what you want from it.
Sandy's Space

At Home In New Zealand said...

Your class sounds interesting, learning to put colours together. My mother knew a lot of "colour theory" in her role as an artist. It is a fascinating subject and could lead you to a lot of fun in putting different things together. Mxx

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

The lack of pictures on the TV wouldn't bother me, I tend to just listen while I stitch!
I do like the variegated thread you're using, very autumnal.
Hope the class goes well, it does sound interesting. It will be nice for Mum to have some different company too.

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

You have plenty of variety in your projects, Margaret. I find choosing colours that harmonise difficult so this website is useful for me https://stitchpalettes.com/ . I bought a kit to make Dorset buttons when in Shaftesbury a couple of years ago. It's still waiting on me to start it.

Leonore Winterer said...

Wow, never a dull moment! Your embroidery looks great. I'm happy you'll get some you-time to attend that class, too!