Saturday 24 October 2020

Check first!!

The hardanger for the apron is completed and now for construction.  I did not plan out this hardanger for the apron - merely began stitching and then did a general measurement.   Now of course when it comes to construction.....well, let's just say that the lace heart motifs for the top of the bib portion have not been well thought out by moi:-)  Lesson learned.   An hour or two spent in detailed planning is not wasted time and saves aggravation further on.    
The broad lace band for the bottom edge of the apron is perfect and can be attached easily.   But for the bib I will have to restitch a single heart motif and then measure carefully to make the triangle in which to insert it.   Fortunately I have sufficient linen left in this piece and can easily stitch another heart.   The DBEM laughed at me!   She has commented several times today that she thought she had taught me better than that.   "Did I not recall her lessons on the value of preparation", she asked.   Well of course I did but I just didn't want to spend the time!!   Anyway I will have to spend the time now won't I?

In the space left on this piece of linen I have stitched yet another hardanger tassel.   These always sell well at sales table so it will not go amiss.

One of my must-have flowers in the garden was to be Lily of the Valley.   I had the most suitable position; the climate here is perfect - just cool enough and just damp enough; so off I went to the garden centre several weeks ago and arranged for them to get me some to plant.   Sure enough at the appointed time a phone call came - they had plants but these were pink.   Did I still want them?   Well, yes.   Even pink was better than nothing so I planted pink.   Then the next day the garden centre phoned again.   They now had white.  Did I want those too?   I sure did.   So planted some of those too.   Such obliging little plants.   They all rooted well and both the white and pink ones produced one flower each.   Then surprise, surprise.   In the small garden at the foot of a rose bush out the back of the house I spied.....yes!   At least a dozen plants of Lily of The Valley, all obligingly coming into flower right now.   

I am pleased to have them but wish I had checked first and saved myself that money:-(   But the pink is cute, don't you think?

6 comments:

Frugally challenged said...

The pink is cute and you will have twice the pleasure. And I am in awe at the hardanger.

Heritage Hall said...


Margaret dear, as ever, your hardanger work
is exquisite. I just love the repartee between you and Mom. Lily of the Valley is a rewarding addition to any garden...the aroma alone, but the beauty of bloom completes the blessing.

Grace said...

I have never seen pink Lily of the Valley - how lovely!

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

I'm not very good at 'winging' it and even with preparation I can still make silly mistakes. I always think of white for Lily of the Valley. For some reason I just thought that was the colour but pink is pretty.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Oh well, at least you gave Mum a good laugh! Your Hardanger is beautiful.
Lily of the Valley are such a beautiful plant. My grandad had a bed full of them with green ferns behind, very pretty.

Leonore Winterer said...

Hah, that's one of the pitfalls of free-form work! I'm sure you'll find a use for the hearts you already stitched, though.

The lilies are so pretty...I'm sure it doesn't hurt to have a couple extra!