Wednesday 28 October 2020

B Day

Today the DBEM was determined we would celebrate so after her INR blood test we had a late start and drove to a cafe in a nearby village.   The lunch hour was well over by the time we arrived so choice was a little limited but below is my 2020 Birthday Cake -  a Dutch Apple Tart.   It was delicious and I savored every morsel without a thought as to how this would affect my determined efforts to shed the unwanted Covid Kilos!  (That is yogurt rather than cream though)

Home again and I decided to do some of the sewing that has been sitting in the pile.   An old sheet was sacrificed to make a toile of a summer top pattern and wonder of wonders, with minimal alterations it fitted well straight from the packet.   So I proceeded to cut out some wonderful rayon Navy and White polka dots purchased on my day out last week to Whanganui.   Tomorrow's planned morning activity has been cancelled so I shall sew myself a new top and with each stitch hope that the temperatures will once again warm up and summer will truly come.

I think I forgot to record on my blog my trip to Whanganui.   These "street art" pencils have recently had their points sharpened and were looking particularly attractive so were the perfect place to have my Subway lunch.   A day out on my own felt really liberating but the DBEM did fret a little and I had to phone her several times to assure her of my wellbeing and whereabouts.   But the cobwebs got blown away and I do feel refreshed for the mini-vacation.

The hardanger is almost finished and I have collected the ingredients for the next stitching project.   More of that next time.


5 comments:

Frugally challenged said...

You are far more noble than I! I would have had to have cream to do justice to that magnificent Dutch apple tart.

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

Happy Birthday, Margaret.

Linda Meyer said...

Happy birthday! As a full time caretaker, you need days to yourself to recharge and rest. In the long run, it is good for both of you. Have read your blog for years and truly have enjoyed your adventures with stitching, the DBEM, work, retirement, moving, etc.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I do love apple pie but I would have had custard or ice-cream with it!
The pencils are a very interesting sculpture and I am glad you got a break too. My son went back to school after 11 days off and I felt like it was a mini-vacation for me too!

Leonore Winterer said...

Happy late birthday! That pie looks delicious, and birthdays should totally be exempt from diets.
Glad you got a day out on your own as well - you just need those from time ot time.