Friday 16 August 2019

A discovery - when is 5 metres not exactly 5 metres?

Today the DBEM wanted some tapes sewn on a mattress cover so I dug out my brand new package of white cotton tape, uncovered the sewing machine and stitched on one tape.   But it wasn't sufficient for two (grrrr)
So armed with a photo of the item - clearly showing 5metres of 25mm wide I went to the local haberdashery and found the same product.   Different manufacturer but the same product.
However the new one by Sullivans was exactly 5metres - not one millmetre more.   Whereas the Trendy Trims have a more generous approach and they give 5.5 metres.

Yeah and hooray for Trendy Trims.   And the DBEM is happy so all is good in my world.

4 comments:

Sandy said...

Makes you wonder if other customers notice doesn't it. Did the machine get set up wrong and cut awhole bunch the wrong distance? Who knows. Glad you solved your problem.
Sandy's Space

Margaret said...

Hi Sandy. I only needed the 5 metres but it was a surprise to find the difference. I'd not normally notice things like this so it struck me with more than usual force.

Leonore Winterer said...

...now I'm kind of tempted to measure out a couple of my DMC skeins to find out if they are exactly as long as they claim to be!

Margaret said...

I wonder if DMC are true to measurement? Perhaps next time I wind a skein on to a card I will test it out;-)