Sunday 31 December 2017

Out with the old and in with the new

During this last week of the year I have crossed lots of items off my list.  
A red rose pincushion was made for my friend Kazumi.  
The stitching in the large Hardanger Angel was finished. 
I got the Hardanger Bag out of the basket, had a look at it and promptly put it back.   
No, I needed a new project to finish off the year.
So what to do.
I had an old Anchor Embroidery book, carefully saved for the last 45 years and on a recent trip I purchased closewoven black linen to stitch one of these
But would the 45 year old iron- on transfer still work? With great faith I purchased the necessary DMC equivalent floss and found a packet of sharp needles in my bag.
One fine morning I cut out the fabric and overlocked  the edges before tacking a line down the vertical centre.   Then and only then did I pin on the transfer, heat the iron and with bated breath transfer the design.   IT WORKED PERFECTLY!!
So here I am venturing down the road of a new adventure.   
This piece is not counted.  
This piece requires an eye for line and design.   
This piece is a mammoth step into the unknown.   
And last night to the accompaniment of an Agatha Raisin movie on the TV I crowned a minaret:-).  

Progress will probably be slow and I foresee necessary hardanger therapy at intervals but it would be good to fulfill this long held dream.   Well done Anchor for the high quality of your publications.  Did their technical advisers ever think that transfers would last 45 years??

10 comments:

Pamela said...

This looks really interesting! I'll be watching for progress in the new year.

Frugally challenged said...

I remember that book! I wanted to make the panel but never got it sorted so I shall watch your progress with enormous interest.

Ann at Beadlework. said...

I did small amounts of embroidery when I was in my teens and early twenties Margaret. I enjoyed it way back then but don't think I could do it now. The end results are worth it though and you tend to enjoy a challenge so I'm sure you'll do a lovely job.

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

You are brave! It's beautiful and I suspect beyond my skill level

Kristen said...

It's going to be beautiful. Happy New Year, Margaret!

deb said...

What a gorgeous design - I can see why this has been on your "someday" list! Great start with the minaret - I shall enjoy watching your progress.

I still have a few of my Mom's issues of Workbasket magazine from the 40s a couple with some iron on transfer designs - your success gives me hope that I haven't saved them in vain!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I’m trying to work out what these are, embroidery patterns to transfer like iron on ones. Amazing how they worked and you are off to a great start. This will be interesting to see. Happy New Year to you and your mother!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

That's amazing! I think it will look beautiful and you should contact them and tell them how well it worked after all those years.

Anna van Schurman said...

Something old and something new! Amazing that the transfer worked after so long.

Leonore Winterer said...

That's a very exciting new project! And such quality, to still work after all that time. I'm looking forward to following along.