Sunday 3 December 2017

Christmas has arrived at my house

I have had a productive weekend and two Christmas finishes are now done.
Neither would be given a 100% pass mark for construction but given they will appear for only one month each year  I am happy with them and will enjoy them
The Heirloom Nativity Sampler by Victoria Sampler was stitched on the designated fabric and with the thread and beads finishing kit sent all the way from Canada.   This one was on the wish list for a long time (7 or 8 years?) so I am well pleased to have it done.   The tightwad in me didn't want to purchase a hanger for the top so I snapped an old bamboo knitting needle to the correct length using my Dad's old pliers and sharpened the point with my heavy duty pencil sharpener.   Two wooden beads from stash - some glue and some brute force and voila!  The silver and white cord came with a bunch of flowers some time ago and has been kept "in case it is needed" :-)
The Quaker Christmas Sampler was stitched to be framed but fiscal prudence dictated that was an unnecessary expense so I have created a runner for the top of my wooden coffee table.   I matched the quilting fabric to the thread of the sampler and am very pleased with it.   The deeper red 'ends' are perfect for a couple of Christmas Ornaments - the first of which is Hardanger Angel Number 1.   Her big sister Hardanger Angel Number 2 is still without a body, a head, arms or even a skirt so she will not be appearing this Christmas :-(
Yesterday the DBEM and I went to the shopping mall for the last time until 2018.  An aged parent using a Zimmer Frame and the Christmas crowds do not mix well and it was a test of patience for both of us.  We are having a quiet Christmas this year - just the two of us -  and with the DBEM's dietary limitations it will not be the traditional fare either.   If the weatherman is to be believed it will be fine and hot so we may take a gourmet picnic to the park and enjoy the wonderful Pohutukawa which flowers Christmas Scarlet at this time of the year.


9 comments:

Frugally challenged said...

Those flowers are gorgeous. And your crafts are wonderful too. Maybe I noticed the flowers more because we don't have those!

Pamela said...

What wonderful finishes! Well done on both!

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Christmas in Summer is so different Margaret. I don't know which I would prefer if I was given the choice. I don't enjoy winter but Christmas seems to break it up over here in Scotland.

deb said...

Both your Christmas finishes turned out beautifully - such treasures! That plant (bush? tree?) is incredible.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Wonderful finishing! The red ends match the Quaker so well. I hope there will be another angel by next Christmas too!

Brigitte said...

So great how you fully finished these beautiful projects.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I worked a long Christmas sampler like this back in my day and we had it framed. A little memory for me. I remember this Quaker piece from your blog posts and just love it.
A quiet, peaceful Christmas suiting yourselves sounds like heaven to me.

Leonore Winterer said...

Lovely finishes :) How nice that you can add a few new decorations to your home this year!

Astrids dragon said...

Both of them are beautifully finished! I'm all for using what you have and what you had was perfect.