Saturday 12 March 2011

Flowers from my garden

Today was bright and sunny so I took some photos of flowers
First up are the Lenten Lilies which obligingly bloom in pristine white during the 40 days of Lent -  from whence cometh the name!  In my garden they are in a very shady spot - and here is the shadowy photograph.


Second are the Shoofly flowers in my vegetable garden.   These beautiful blue blooms have successfully kept away not only the flys and aphids but unfortunately also the bees so  the the small flowers on my climbing beans are still waiting patiently to be fertilised.  No bees = no beans and therefore maybe no Shoofly flowers next year!


Today I have been watching with horror the continued news of the huge earthquake in Japan.   Coming so soon after our own disaster here in New Zealand, we all feel very much for the Japanese people.   I was very relieved to hear from my close friends and to know they are safe.   But it is sad to see the awful devastation at Sendai -  I spent a wonderful holiday there one summer many years ago.




5 comments:

Tatkis said...

Lovely flowers!
And this earthquake in Japan is a horrible thing...

Best wishes,
Tatyana

Catherine said...

Your lovely flowers have made me anxious for my flowers to start showing their spring faces! So terrible what is happening in Japan. My heart goes out to everyone.

Karen said...

Beautiful flowers!

These natural disasters are nothing less than a nightmare. My thoughts and prayers go to those in Japan and New Zealand.

sheri said...

I never knew there was a shoofly flower! I've heard of shoofly pie (wonder what it's made of? -- Maybe I don't want to know!)

Thanks so much for sharing your garden pics. The tulips and daffodils have broken ground but nothing is blooming here so far. It's so nice to see some beauty in the world with all that is going on. The news from Japan is so overwhelmingly sad and frightening.

Unknown said...

How lovely! I wonder how beautiful they look when they're all together in your garden. Do you happen to have a post featuring your entire garden? If so, I would love to check that out. Anyway, thanks for sharing those beautiful flowers, they’re surely worth pinning. Have a great day!

Bethel Woodard @ Sollecito