Sunday 12 May 2019

Sometimes life gets in the way of stitching

My secondary career as "carer for the DBEM" sometimes gets in the way of my stitching time and there hasn't been a lot produced over the last little while.
The DBEM has painstakingly knitted a small sweater for the newest great grandchild and I have duly sewn it up, added the buttons, wrapped the parcel and conveyed it to the Post Office.   The final great grandchild in this current batch is due this week and the DBEM is on tenterhooks with excitement!
Apart from cooking, cleaning and general life administration I have completed another Christmas Ornament.
I know I said I wouldn't stitch another ornament over one thread on 32 count linen but I needed to do so to get the appropriate size for the finish I have in mind.   So after some teeth grinding and a few sighs here we are....
And I finished off the Elf - after a long and methodical search for the teeny tiny bell I knew I had somewhere....
And I have now completed the top and the bottom of the box for the Inspirations Etui.   This may be a Betsy Morgan design but the chart is not identical to the photograph in the Inspirations magazine.  And although I am using the specified Gloriana Silk colour floss the School House red is not at all like the variant photographed in the magazine.   I did make a change from the red on the top as it was too "in your face"   I also swapped out the variegated silk specified for the squirrel as he came out stripey and I couldn't abide that - so he's done in a DMC matching the lightest shade of the variegated and I will live with this.
There are supposed to be initials - one on each side of the base of the tree - but I have yet to make my mind up about those so at the moment the 'forest floor' is bare. 
This week promises to be really busy and apart from my daily Temperature Chart I don't anticipate getting any stitching done.   Oh well there's always the next week...

12 comments:

Ann at Beadlework. said...

I think you do amazingly well to achieve what you do Margaret. I know just how much time it takes to care for an elderly mum - it's a balancing act.

Margaret said...

Thanks Ann. Balancing act is a very accurate description but so far so good. We did enjoy a happy Mother's Day together today.

Leonore Winterer said...

Lovely new ornaments :) I'm glad you're keeping the DBEM happy, even if it takes away from your stitching time!

Margaret said...

Thanks Lenore. I enjoy stitching small Christmas Ornaments - much more than I enjoy the DBEM's knitting repairs (ha ha)

Sandy said...

Love them all, but especially the elf. The little bell truly finishes it perfectly. Glad you found it. But, stuff like that makes us crazy...you know it's someone and until you find it, it's quite frustrating.
Sandy's Space

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I am sure your Mum appreciates your help and support.
When you do find time to stitch your work is lovely.
How long is the countdown to retirement now?

Astrids dragon said...

A joint effort for the sweater, what a treasure!
Two sweet ornaments, the bell is perfect for the elf.

deb said...

Over one on 32 (wow!!) - NOEL looks fantastic! And that elf design is adorable - the bell is the perfect touch, well worth the time you spent looking for it.

That Betsy Morgan design is lovely - I'm very tempted now that I've seen your picture. Are you using the called-for fibers?

Margaret said...

He is cute isn't he. I hope to get him all finished properly this weekend

Margaret said...

I haven't been stitching much this week but will have to decide on a new project at the weekend. A nightly stitch time is crucial to keeping stress levels down.

Margaret said...

That elf is cute isn't he? But he was a pain to stitch being over one on fine fabric.

Margaret said...

Hi Deb. I did use the called for fibres- with one exception. I changed out to a DMC for the squirrel rather than have him variegated.