Saturday 1 August 2015

Two are better than one

Last Saturday I bravely left my embroidery spectacles at Mortimer Hirst to let the handsome Grant make me new lenses.   So all week I struggled with clip on magnifiers.   I have been almost too tired to stitch but managed to make these "doubles".   Why does everything have two sides - even an argument?!
My mulberry Mary Stewart Hussif is turning out well.   The hardanger decoration is backed with a small square of cream calico and the lining is some ancient cotton quilting fabric from stash.  Now I need to buttonhole stitch all the way around both pieces before joining them together.
I wanted to make fancy toggles on the ends of the draw cords but the only scraps left of the linen fabric are a few stray threads that frayed off the edge.   This has been a truly frugal project!
And both sides of the red and green blackwork strawberry are done so I hope to get this finished over the weekend.   They have both to be lined with wool batting and laced over a more strawberry (oval) shape before being stitched together and then the search for red headed pins will begin.  There remains a strawberry scissor fob and a needlebook for this set but not just right now.
My list for this month is already drawn up in my mind so I will courageously commit to paper - well to blog anyway
1.  Finish off strawberry pin keep
2.  Complete Mary Stewart Hussif
3.  Finish hemming quilted placemats
4.  Construct Advent "candles" for  Christmas Gift
5.  Tack out linen for hardanger jewellery roll
6.   Lace linen panels of Sampler Casket
Now I am off to put Chicken Soup into the slow cooker and Sweet and Sour Pork Casserole into the oven.  I try to do the week's cooking over the weekend leaving the HD3QBEM to heat up meals through the week.   She feels she's helping and I get a meal quickly when I get home after work then gym. A win-win wouldn't you say?


7 comments:

Ann at Beadlework. said...

That's a great idea with the cooking Margaret, it's so good coming home to a hot meal and not having to do the prep after a day at work. Enjoy your weekend.

stitchersanon said...

I try to prepare all my meals in advance too...gorgeous stitching, very pretty.

Angela Tucker said...

You do beautiful work. I am terrified of hardanger. Cut my fabric? No, no, and no. LOL

I love the idea of extra, extra leftovers for the week. I am out of the house from 5 am to 3 pm each day. Can you say tired? We try to BBQ on the weekend so all I have to do is a veggie and salad, heat up the meat and dinner is done.

Pamela said...

What a beautiful hussif! I love the mulberry fabric!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

The mulberry Huswif looks lovely as do your strawberries.

Good idea with the cookery too.

KimM said...

Your stitching is priceless. I'm always in awe of your posts. Beautiful.
xxx

Karen said...

You're such a sweet daughter to think of your Mom like that and make her feel useful. I love the colour you chose for the hussif and the strawberry pinkeep is adorable. I love blackwork although I haven't done much of it myself. Good luck with your "to do" list! :)