Saturday 25 January 2014

60 Weeks Until .... Number 20

Last night, very late, I was indulging in a nostalgic wallow in my favourite "What Katy Did" books?   My own copies, which belonged to the HD3QBEM before me, have long since been passed on to nieces.   I hope they love them as much as I do!   In What Katy Did at School, she and Clover receive a box from home and forbidden to open it by a stern school mistress, they nevertheless ease the lid open slightly and their exploring fingertips find "Debbie's Jumbles".   Now Debbie is their family cook but I never knew what a Jumble was.
Today the mystery is solved.   I leafed through an old recipe book and found...... Date Jumbles.   Presumably it was a lack of knowledge of the Katy books which gave this cake the wrong name!   D is for Debbie not Date.   Whatever -  these are delicious!

Date Jumbles
125 gram butter
125 gram white sugar
250 gram chopped dates
Warm the butter and sugar in a saucepan until the butter melts.   Add the dates and mix well.

185 gram flour
60 gram cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
Sift these dry ingredients together.

Add the butter, sugar and date mixture to the dry ingredients.   Add 3/4 cup milk and mix well.
Spread in a greased slice or swiss roll tin and bake 30 minutes at 170 degrees celsius.
When cold ice with chocolate icing.




No comments: